Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

West region body/tuner/performance shop discussion [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tonerockyhorror
Yeah it looks like it. $800 is pretty pricey for a tune. Other shops are at $400. I get that they're very good, but twice the price?
That's kind of your only option in the SF Bay Area now.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:27 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
I must be reading their site wrong?

$250/HR

Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

I've heard that EQ Tuning in Fairfiled tunes Evo's. I've never been there before though since it's a Subie shop. I checked their site and it looks like they don't use ECU Flash and use Open ECU. Not sure how big of a difference that would be.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:53 PM

take a trip to so cal to get tuned
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by golgo13
I must be reading their site wrong?

$250/HR

No you're not, I just looked at the single map rate, not realizing that was AEM tuning. I assume probably a couple hours for a basic tune, so the rate is in line with everyone else.

On a side note, I've never been tuned through EcuFlash before, only ever Cobb APs. Is there anything I should know going in? Do I need to download anything beforehand or buy a Tactrix cable? How do you switch maps or revert to stock if you need to?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tonerockyhorror
No you're not, I just looked at the single map rate, not realizing that was AEM tuning. I assume probably a couple hours for a basic tune, so the rate is in line with everyone else.

On a side note, I've never been tuned through EcuFlash before, only ever Cobb APs. Is there anything I should know going in? Do I need to download anything beforehand or buy a Tactrix cable? How do you switch maps or revert to stock if you need to?
If you're tuning yourself then yeah you'll need to download that application and buy that cable. Otherwise your tuner should have everything.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BLK_EvIL
Boostedtuning . He does great work have been going to him for a few years now located in chico tunes on dynojet or road/E-Mail tunes very reasonable rates and safe tunes.
Thanks for the recommendation.

Even though we're located in Chico, CA (Bout 2.5 hours from the bay), we have people come from the bay to get tunes quite regularly.

We can also do remote tunes if you have a laptop, cable and wideband. No Long drive and more flexibility.

Last edited by Boosted Tuning; Sep 18, 2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
Thanks for the recommendation.

Even though we're located in Chico, CA (Bout 2.5 hours from the bay), we have people come from the bay to get tunes quite regularly.

We can also do remote tunes if you have a laptop, cable and wideband. No Long drive and more flexibility.
You should relocate to the SF Bay Area! So few tuners yet so many Evo's.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Anonymouse
You should relocate to the SF Bay Area! So few tuners yet so many Evo's.
hey anonymouse i was supposed to buy your car about 5 months ago! really random finding you on here lol.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jeremy52048
hey anonymouse i was supposed to buy your car about 5 months ago! really random finding you on here lol.
LOL looks like you bought an RR too! Looks like we're twins!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Anonymouse
LOL looks like you bought an RR too! Looks like we're twins!
lol yeah i did but i would have loved to have taken yours off your hands. instead i drove all the way to los Angeles! you had a KILLER price on it man.. i only had 13k at the time so we couldnt agree on a price. love RR
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was going to go to FFTEC, but everytime I call them they have this Superior attitude. I was going to eat the $700+ that I was quoted until they wanted me to take off my top-of the line parts in exchange for their FFTEC parts. They said it would be harder and therfore more costly for them to tune my Evo without it. Doesnt sound very professional to me or give me faith in their tuning ability. I think since there arn't too many players(unlike Socal) they charge whatever they want and since its expensive people think they are getting a product that correlates.

GST does tune Evos and so far my experience with them has been positive. Not to mention they only change 415 for their tuning services. And its a Flat Rate, no guessing like with FFTEC.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:11 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by evo-mike
I was going to go to FFTEC, but everytime I call them they have this Superior attitude. I was going to eat the $700+ that I was quoted until they wanted me to take off my top-of the line parts in exchange for their FFTEC parts. They said it would be harder and therfore more costly for them to tune my Evo without it. Doesnt sound very professional to me or give me faith in their tuning ability. I think since there arn't too many players(unlike Socal) they charge whatever they want and since its expensive people think they are getting a product that correlates.

GST does tune Evos and so far my experience with them has been positive. Not to mention they only change 415 for their tuning services. And its a Flat Rate, no guessing like with FFTEC.
Who at GST is doing the tuning? Right now, FFTEC is almost the only option around IIRC. If you're the only shop that's respected, you can kinda be jerks to anyone since you've got them by the short and curlies.

Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the attitude wasnt the deal breaker...i've owned(and modded) evos since they came out and i know what bull**** smells like. Im sure the parts they make are good, but dont try to 'sell' me how there stuff is the only option and all other parts are garbage and dont work; like i just work up yesterday and bought an Evo, just so you can squeeze some more cash out of me.

There is always another option...
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:02 PM
EvoM Community Team

Huh.

I would be interested in hearing your exact conversation. It seems odd to me that they would assert that all other parts except theirs are garbage. Maybe you got some young punk on the phone that was talking out of his ***?

I'm not defending them, just lots of people seem to be on their nuts so I would think that there has to be some merit to the quality of their work.

Quick Reply: West region body/tuner/performance shop discussion [MERGED]