Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

Bought a 2011 X does not pass Emission

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2014, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought a 2011 X does not pass Emission

Hey guys this is actually my first post in this forum. Nice to meet you all!

I am new to the EVO family which I used to own a STi, definitely love it over the subie

I bought my 2011 EVO X GSR on DEC 22,2014 in Utah from a small dealership and at the time the sales told me it pass emission test without problem.
Since the car was sold at a decent price and EVO is always my dream (Owning a STi before is because of budget problem), I purchased it without a second thought.

The second day I drove the car the CEL lighted up and shown a code P2096 (sth about the car running lean.) I took it to a tuner on DEC 27, 2014 and found out that the car do not have a catted downpipe.
So it means that it will not pass emission. The tuner told me that the dealer who sold the car should take responsibility and either buy a stock DP for me or replace it for me. But I cannot find any legal document talk about this specifically in Utah.

The car was a 2011 so it do not require a emission test this year and that's why the dealership can register the car. I contacted them right away and I feel like they try to get away from this.
They told me sth like "you just need it next year" and "we do not know anything about it". But they said they will talk with their service guy on Monday and get back to me.

So if anyone here have experience about this or do anyone have any sources showing the dealer do need to be responsible for this? I don't want to be passive when I deal with them on Monday,
I will need some info and evidence that good enough to make them responsible to that if in fact they need to. I will be good if they can just give me a stock DP so I can pass the emission when needed.

If you guys need more detail please let me know as I just try to keep it short and clean here.

Appreciate you guys time for reading this and any input will be really helpful. Thank you.

Last edited by Benson830; Dec 27, 2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
i thought a dealership could not sell a vehicle that doesn't pass emissions unless they fix it also...
Old Dec 27, 2014, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bhsj13
i thought a dealership could not sell a vehicle that doesn't pass emissions unless they fix it also...
They told me that the car had a little mod but pass the emission test. At that time I notice the intake and the cat back was replaced but I did not pay attention to the downpipe since it was pretty dark that time.

Yeah I mean right now I research a bit more and pretty much in many state they require a cat at the point of sale, but still nothing specifically talk about in Utah.

I also found out that people say if I need to sue them I will need to have prove that they do realize the cat was gone when they sell the car, which nearly impossible. Still those statement aren't necessarily be true, at least I do not want it to be...
Old Dec 28, 2014, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
try and get a hold of a stock used cat. junkyard or craigslist?
Old Dec 28, 2014, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bhsj13
try and get a hold of a stock used cat. junkyard or craigslist?
Yep, this will be what I need to do if I failed to make the dealer pay for it.