Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

Moving from NJ to San Jose

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving from NJ to San Jose

Heyyyyy,

As the title says I'm moving from NJ to San Jose in mid June and bringing my evo with me. I am going to try California out for at least 6 months and decide if I will stay permanently. I've seen a lot of posts about the smog laws and what not, so I have decided to not get my CA license or register the evo in California until I decide if I am in fact going to stay. My question is how much am I going to get harassed by the cops? Details: I'm a girl, I have 5% tints all around, cobb tuned, and an Invidia exhaust (no cat ).

Also, how are the meets out there? I've seen the cars and coffee @ Santana Row on Instagram, but nothing else.

Thanks in advancee
Old Jun 8, 2015, 08:23 PM

Hey welcome to san jose in advance. well about the tint it depends on the officer if you catch him on a bad day lol. I personally ride with my windows down and if i have them up i will roll them down once i see a cop. Now for the exhaust part lol. I took off my mufflers and resonators and added a carless test pipe. Thankfully i haven't got pulled over for that (i got pulled over in my previous car because i accidentally reved it in front of a cop which i didn't see) as long as you don't floor it full throttle in the streets unless some ricer revs at you then you unleash the beast lol but you should be fine.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Junior_evox
Hey welcome to san jose in advance. well about the tint it depends on the officer if you catch him on a bad day lol. I personally ride with my windows down and if i have them up i will roll them down once i see a cop. Now for the exhaust part lol. I took off my mufflers and resonators and added a carless test pipe. Thankfully i haven't got pulled over for that (i got pulled over in my previous car because i accidentally reved it in front of a cop which i didn't see) as long as you don't floor it full throttle in the streets unless some ricer revs at you then you unleash the beast lol but you should be fine.

thanks!!!!! I am very excited to move there. I usually have the windows down too unless it's raining or snowing lol and I also roll down the windows when I see the police too hehe I still have the "silencer" that came with my exhaust, I'm going to see if that minimizes the sound and I will try to keep the beast locked up for the first few months until I get a feel of my surroundings HAHA

thanks for the reply! maybe I will see you around!
Old Jun 9, 2015, 07:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
As an FYI, California states you need to register your car in California within 20 days of establishing residency in the state and you must obtain a California driver's license within 10 days of establishing residency. That will also include having to smog the car under California rules.

If you are in California for more than 9 months you are automatically a resident.

So, make sure you look temporary or transitory if you do not want to register the car here. Having a job and residence in state makes that harder.

Last edited by razorlab; Jun 9, 2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Best of luck with your move! You driving your car out? You'll love it out there! You won't be back here (NJ)! Totally different culture out there! I can't wait to go back! I'm from SoCal, you are headed up North some...Just wait until you see it...
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by deepalmeira
thanks!!!!! I am very excited to move there. I usually have the windows down too unless it's raining or snowing lol and I also roll down the windows when I see the police too hehe I still have the "silencer" that came with my exhaust, I'm going to see if that minimizes the sound and I will try to keep the beast locked up for the first few months until I get a feel of my surroundings HAHA

thanks for the reply! maybe I will see you around!
Haha yea no snow over here. You will love it. The car scene is pretty good over here ! Hopefully see you around !
Old Jun 10, 2015, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Junior_evox
Haha yea no snow over here. You will love it. The car scene is pretty good over here ! Hopefully see you around !
yes that's one of the main reasons I am moving haha I've been there 3 times already for interview, drug test, etc., and I LOVE IT. see you around man!

Originally Posted by NJ9MR
Best of luck with your move! You driving your car out? You'll love it out there! You won't be back here (NJ)! Totally different culture out there! I can't wait to go back! I'm from SoCal, you are headed up North some...Just wait until you see it...
thanks! I am towing it on a trailer, I'm not putting 3k miles on my baby ;P I don't EVER want to live in NJ again. I am DYING to go to SoCal, last time I was there I was able to go to Santa Cruz and it's sooooooooooo nice, and those windy roads are LEGIT lol

Originally Posted by razorlab
As an FYI, California states you need to register your car in California within 20 days of establishing residency in the state and you must obtain a California driver's license within 10 days of establishing residency. That will also include having to smog the car under California rules.

If you are in California for more than 9 months you are automatically a resident.

So, make sure you look temporary or transitory if you do not want to register the car here. Having a job and residence in state makes that harder.
I read about the license and registration requirements but I don't plan on having out of state plates and license forever, it's just in the first couple of months to make sure everything works out and I'm not going back to NJ lol