Notices

Ticking sound while turning

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticking sound while turning

I need help diagnosing what could be wrong with my car after I began hearing a ticking noise while turning today with my windows down. Here are the details:

-The "ticking" sound is of metal on metal or stone on metal (sounds like one tick of a ratchet/torque wrench and similar loudness)
-The ticking comes from the right front wheel area only while turning left
-The ticking happens when turning the wheel at any angle to the left beyond a quarter turn
-The ticking is intermittently, and seems to happen once every wheel rotation. The tick happens at all speeds. The faster I go, the faster the ticks, the slower I go, the slower the tick.
-The sound exists whether in drive or neutral
-The sound exists when reversing and turning left too
-Because of the sound, at first I thought I had a rock stuck in my tire, or that my wheels were not completely clearing the calipers, but after a visual inspection this is not the problem

If you guys can offer any ideas what it could be that would be a great. Imagine how crazy I must of looked in an empty parking lot turning in circles for 10 minutes... any longer with this noise and I will actually turn crazy
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:34 AM

There's a known issue by Mitsubishi about this. If I recall correctly it's the cv joints having a grease that does not work well when cold or in cold climates. The repair consist of re-lubing the joints.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

I just took off the wheel and checked it out. There was 0 play in the wheel either way. No grease leaking from either cv boots anywhere. Are you suggesting that the CV joints could have deteriorated without the boot leaking? I don't see how the cold weather grease problem could have caused this. Its nowhere near cold right now where I live... more like 90 degrees, and I figure I would have heard something in the spring for sure if it was going back then
Old Jul 1, 2012, 07:04 AM

A ticking noise when turning is normally and issue with the axle or CV boot.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Have you found out any more on this mines starting to do it but only when I'm at about 30+mph but also turning left
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

the dealer diagnosed it as improperly greased brake pad retention clips... or something like that... re-doing the brake service fixed it, but I also think it may have been related to the springs since I think when the car was jacked up they were reseated properly
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:48 AM

Mine had a similar issue and it was the top hat on the passenger side strut. The plastic and rubber they use is cheap. Warranty should cover these types of issues and then they blame it on something else to get moeny out of you.....at least the stealerships in Houston....
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:07 PM

hey i have a question. my front end on the driver side is grinding. it doesnt matter which direction im moving or turning. my rotors are warn and do have grooves in them. but they have been that way for a while and no problem til now. trying to get new ones but money is tight right now. also its squeaking but the break pads are at least 85% also once i pass about 35 to 40 my abs light comes on. went thru my car and noticed my driver side transmission mount is broke. could this be the problem? i thought it might be bc my trans. is dropped slightly lower its putting extra strain on the cv axle. or possibly my abs sensor is rubbing on it. not to sure what to do trying to fix what i can when i can its just that i want to buy the part the will help me the best first. lol
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
^ I see in your sig you have an '04 - i suggest you post with that group for a better response... We are nextgen (2008+).
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:40 AM
Evolving Member

Mine kinda clicked like that once but I just retorqued my wheels to the proper specs I wanted 85Ft/Lb when I got home from the dealer. I am running Enkei NT03+M on Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports 235/40/R18's. The Service Tech didn't torque my wheels properly/at all. I contacted the dealer after discovering this problem and I got a free oil change service... that is the least I could get for them almost killing me.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:44 AM
Evolving Member

That's the least the dealership can do for you. I work also in the dealership I've heard worse horor incidenta!