Notices

Accesstuner Race Updates

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2016, 02:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Accesstuner Race Updates

As a heads up to those who rely on Accesstuner Race...

After taking a look at current industry news and trends, we have decided to proactively re-tool Accesstuner Race. Starting 5/9/16, it will temporarily be unavailable on our website, but we expect to have the updates available by June. We know it’s a bummer not having it available right now, but please check out the list of Protuners on our website for an interim solution.

If you have any questions or concerns about this, please feel free to email us at support@cobbtuning.com

Marshall@COBB

Last edited by COBB Tuning; May 4, 2016 at 11:43 AM.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you finally released a workable copy of the AP software.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 05:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
5 months late on an update if it was supposed to be released by June. You might have to get in touch with them via their site or phone.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 01:39 AM
Evolving Member

Finally an update. After scouring the web asking questions they answered.

"An updated version of Accesstuner will return in the near future, be fully featured, and will continue to be offered for free to COBB Accessport customers. Because this is a powerful piece of software, we have decided that in order to fulfill our mission of delivering responsible and safe tuning solutions, we will require that end users attend a paid online training course and pass an evaluation through a third party educator in order to have access to download this free software (Accesstuner). As you can imagine, implementing these changes and setting up the online training and evaluation process takes time and involves lots of different groups both internal and external to COBB. We’ve been hard at work updating this software while creating a curriculum and bank of test questions to ensure that those who complete the course are able to safely and responsibly utilize this software. Because of the size and complexity of this project, it is taking us longer than we originally projected to complete the launch of Accesstuner and our training program." (Via COBB 5 July 2016)

There has been a lot of questions going back and forth between Cobb and their customers. The cost of the training course they would like you to take is $150.00 out of pocket on top of the price of the Cobb AP ($450.00). The training is provided by EFI University. 4 hours on the basics of tuning before they will give you a copy of their new software. There are different opinions on if this was a good idea or not, some feel that any education is a good thing and some are bashing them for trying to suck the blood out of people financially. I'll let you decide what's best for you.

As for me, did you know that the Cobb AP burns a funny shade of blue and purple when exposed to really hot fire.

Release Date for Mitsubishi – Beginning 2017

Last edited by vaqusis; Nov 14, 2016 at 01:47 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So glad I ditched my AP and bought a Tactrix. Cobb just needs to drop Evo support, as they don't really support the platform anymore.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

As soon as my tuner starts tuning on opensource I may do the same. You can only request a flex fuel option so many times till you give up. It does make me feel that COBB has no interest in supporting the Evo X platform. Even though I see more Evo's then any other car at the Plano location!
Old Nov 21, 2016, 04:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I recently sold my AP as well. I plan on going to the Tactronix in the near future after I get the car paid for.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happy 2017 All.

Cobb Tuning:

Will you please reply to when and if you really intend on releasing the Accesstuner update you have indicated that you will "soon".

Although I have put my X away for the winter, I keep checking your forums and blog.

Telephone calls to you have for the most part have been a bummer. I have been promised email responses (none ever). And asking for basic support for a 2012 X have been largely uninformative.

I am not being critical and try to remain unbiased. Just stating the truth.

It also was mentioned that to have access to your tuning software the consumer will have to complete a tuning course of your choice. I have been offered packages by HP Academy. HP Academy has already allowed me to view several modules and how your software relates to other tuning methods. The basics are all the same, the methodology relates the same.

I have waited since seeing your initial post back in May. "Soon" should be just that.

Your OTS maps do provide gains that I expect and I have the Accesstuner software that is not currently available along with downloaded OTS maps.

I would like to ask if completing an HP Academy course would enable me to, or certify my ability to obtain your Accesstuner update when and if it ever becomes available again.

Droves of people are abandoning the Accessport for various reasons. I received mine with the Stage 3 package. I used OTS maps until I received a dyno tune which was locked by the tuner.

Boost curve after I got home was such that there was extreme compressor surge using the 3 port boost control solenoid. My tuner was never able to tune out the surge and eventually refunded his fee.

After a new Buschur engine and break in I tried the dyno tune. Surge was (as expected) still there. Stage 3 OTS map was rich and low speed between shift exhaust popping was prevalent, surge was nonexistent. Again your tech support was not helpful.

Buschur mentioned that they do not tune with 3 port and in preparation I purchased a manual boost controller. I set the control for the same, if not a bit higher, 24psi boost that was tuned in the dyno tune. Compressor surge disappeared in the 3000-4000rpm range where it was extreme before.

It was at that point I understood how easy it is to have a COBB banner printed to post in an "authorized" COBB tuning center. That was a $12k lesson that was learned the hard way, as I attribute running the botched dyno tune for a short while and the 8+ emailed modified maps and data logs that I sent before flashing back to your OTS maps the reason the original engine was destroyed beyond repair.

COBB representatives. Have you abandoned the Mitsubishi platform? And can you detail your future intentions, please.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

It's a shame but Cobb's portfolio has them focusing on other makes and models that simply provide more volume. There's not enough Evo X to make it worth the extra effort. I don't blame thenm it's business. That being said I'm ditching my AP on my next round of mods.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ill Be doing the same!
Old Feb 3, 2017, 03:34 AM

This is insane. Does Cobb expect to have anyone left to pay for their course by the time it comes out?? I did not buy an accessport to be limited to their half assed OTS maps.