Notices
ECU Flash

LEAN SPOOL question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2009, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
LEAN SPOOL question

Could one of the gurus please explain what the Lean Spool Trailing Time tables do? Has this code been worked on?
Old Jan 28, 2009, 07:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
dont know. dont think so.

any reason you want to leave leanspool enabled at all?
Old Jan 28, 2009, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

lean spool = faster spool, hehe.
I believe it works, and the conversion map is defined if you want to alter the parameters.
I have tinkered with this a bit.
plus, I like using the good stuff the factory put in the code.
Besides, you can always turn it off if you want to do some steady state dyno investigations/tuning.

Also, I wanted a description for the EcuFlash tuning manual Im doing.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I am also very interested in lean spool mechanism. I tried to explain how it works here, but I haven't got any feedback from ECU gurus here.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ling-time.html
Old Jan 28, 2009, 08:48 PM
EvoM Guru

if you want faster spool just lean out your map in the spool areas accordingly.

of course when you disable leanspool you need to manually make the adjustments to the fuel map..
Old Jan 28, 2009, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

ace33joe, I liked your description re the time tables.
Maybe you've got it.
But I think we need the dis-assemblers to attack the code to be sure.
I believe jcsbanks is a Lean Spool fan...
Old Jan 28, 2009, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No to hijack a thread, but this too peaked my interest so I looked at my lean spool values. Could someone post up the stock 94170015 trailing time values?

I ask because I am working on the MAP to MAF patch and notice that my VE values match the trailing time rpm values.

This could be creating some issues.

Thanks in advance.

Oh and for the record, I like the purpose of lean spool. I do see the reasons for disabeling it though. I guess to each is own.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 09:52 PM
EvoM Guru

I prefer the consistent nature of having it disabled.

I can replicate the lean afr by tuning the map anyways

That and we don't have a 100% handle on EXACTLY how it operates makes me want to disable it xD
Old Jan 29, 2009, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Appauldd
No to hijack a thread, but this too peaked my interest so I looked at my lean spool values. Could someone post up the stock 94170015 trailing time values?

I ask because I am working on the MAP to MAF patch and notice that my VE values match the trailing time rpm values.

This could be creating some issues.

Thanks in advance.

Oh and for the record, I like the purpose of lean spool. I do see the reasons for disabeling it though. I guess to each is own.
Once you change RPM for one it changes them all it seems
Old Jan 29, 2009, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I see small AFR_MAP inconsistancies from log to log with the LS so it's not even a full override. Might get filtered by the same temp/baro functions as airflow.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tephra
I prefer the consistent nature of having it disabled.

I can replicate the lean afr by tuning the map anyways

That and we don't have a 100% handle on EXACTLY how it operates makes me want to disable it xD
Are you serious or are you kidding us?

To design LeanSpool was not just a funny thing. The engineers were right to pack this cachet into the ECU.

The bad thing is, that the Gurus in this Forum dont have any ideas how to handle and explain these nice tables. I have to say I am quiet disappointed.

As I understand LeanSpool is an instrument to improve the spoolup and power strongly and at the same time this cachet protects the engine/turbo by going back to riche AFR-values after a certain time. As long as the engine is in the leanspool there are usually nice AFR-Values at around AFR 12.5. This means, max. power and quick response as long as the engine runs in this trailing time.

Thomas

Last edited by h101171; Jan 29, 2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 08:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
My take on it is that lean spool is only useful for tune that has very rich AFRs in the fuel map. Lean spool just momentarily brings the AFRs into optimal values. If the aim is proper AFRs all the time, then why bother with lean spool.

In my disassem of the Evo 10 ROM, I found that lean spool is disabled from the factory, so Mitsu must not think its the greatest thing.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ I agree ^

I could not be happier with LS disabled. I get AFR repeatability, AFR consistency gear to gear and has helped eliminate the random knock during spoolup which I atribute to carbon buildup from the AFR swings LS causes.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
My take on it is that lean spool is only useful for tune that has very rich AFRs in the fuel map. Lean spool just momentarily brings the AFRs into optimal values. If the aim is proper AFRs all the time, then why bother with lean spool.

In my disassem of the Evo 10 ROM, I found that lean spool is disabled from the factory, so Mitsu must not think its the greatest thing.
Thats why the Evo 10 is such a slow car.

Lean spool not only brings the AFRs into optimal values (momentarily), it brings them into better values than it's possible without lean spool.
Because you cannot drive so high AFR only set by the fuel-table over the whole RPM-band. Means if you would hard drive your car on the german Highway (no speed limit), you can wait until your engine gets a little warm 'cause of running consantly high AFR values.

With the Lean spool tables you can drive your engine for example from 2000 - 6500RPM with a AFR value of around 12.5. And before the the engine becomes to hot the Lean spool is switching off to prevent a damage.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have LS enabled but the AFR_MAP is still controllable through the 1st 4 cells of the antilag table, more-so than from the AFR map.

Currently set to stop at about 4000 rpm and kicks in upon openloop. Cells are 144, 147, 151, 154 and the equivalent values are respectfully 13.07, 12.80, 12.46, 12.22. This turns out to be way more pricise than trying to plug these values into the afr table when load/rpm constantly varies

Quick Reply: LEAN SPOOL question