Notices
ECU Flash

Anyone using a serial-to-USB with a Dell Venue Pro?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2014, 05:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Anyone using a serial-to-USB with a Dell Venue Pro?

I'm using a Dell Venue Pro 8 and it works fine with EcuFlash and EvoScan, but I'm having trouble getting my Zeitronix ZT-2 to register on either its own software or EvoScan. I'm using a Dynex serial-to-USB cable that I got eons ago, but I found Windows 8.1 drivers and it should work, but it doesn't. I think I'm going to try another cable. If anyone is using the a Venue 8 Pro with one of these USB-to-Serial cables with success, please post up what cable you are using.

Thanks!
Rich
Old Nov 23, 2014, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have not found a 8.1 driver that works with my old serial converter . i am in for an answer too.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 06:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Based on a little research, it looks like my adapter probably has a counterfeit Prolific (PL-2303) chip set and the Prolific driver is detecting that and shutting it down, as described here:

http://owenduffy.net/software/ATB/PL2303.htm

I get the error described on that site.

Update: Just ordered a Plugable brand adapter from Amazon that says they use only genuine Prolific chips, so hopefully it works.

Last edited by EVO8LTW; Nov 23, 2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't even waste your time with anything else besides Keyspan. I have only had to buy one and it has worked for close to a decade without a single problem and it works on everything. I have enlightened some people that I have dealt with at work that use $390 Allen Bradley serial to USB converters for variable frequency drives that are super picky and equally super expensive (can we say $40,000 each ) as they swear they are the only thing that worked.... I let them try the Keyspan and it worked just the same.... made me smile, and them upset as they wasted the money on something that was definitely not worth it. I have also bought one under the Tripplite brand name as they were bought out years ago--- same unit, same quality, same excellent results.

I also have Zeitronix equipment and it communicates without a problem. Worth the $25-30 that you'll spend on it. I have had others that work, but honestly when I can use one that covers everything without a hitch--- hard to recommend anything else!

http://www.tripplite.com/high-speed-...yspan~USA19HS/
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:50 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I'm using a Dell Venue Pro 8 and it works fine with EcuFlash and EvoScan, but I'm having trouble getting my Zeitronix ZT-2 to register on either its own software or EvoScan. I'm using a Dynex serial-to-USB cable that I got eons ago, but I found Windows 8.1 drivers and it should work, but it doesn't. I think I'm going to try another cable. If anyone is using the a Venue 8 Pro with one of these USB-to-Serial cables with success, please post up what cable you are using.

Thanks!
Rich
Run it in Windows 7 compatibility mode. right click icon=> properties => compatibility mode => Windows 7
Old Dec 2, 2014, 03:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Based on a little research, it looks like my adapter probably has a counterfeit Prolific (PL-2303) chip set and the Prolific driver is detecting that and shutting it down, as described here:

http://owenduffy.net/software/ATB/PL2303.htm

I get the error described on that site.

Update: Just ordered a Plugable brand adapter from Amazon that says they use only genuine Prolific chips, so hopefully it works.
The Plugable adapter fixed my problem