Notices

Car Fails to Start After Reflash

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2016, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Fails to Start After Reflash

Hey guys,

Alright, hear me out here. This issue actually pertains to my 2009 Lancer GTS (2.4L 4B12) but it uses the same method as the X for flashing.

I recently swapped an original 2.4L 4B12 motor to bring my car back to stock as I've purchased another toy and I need something comfortable for work. I'm using the same ECU as factory which has been benched and reflashed to the original 52700007 rom.

I'm not necessarily new to ECUFlash but I've ran into an issue, every time I go to start my car, there's no relay to power the starter, no noise, no nothing. There's a slight hum and an obvious draw in power (lights dim) but no cranking. I haven't been able to start the car since the swap, which I just finished two days ago.

Just a few things I've tried:

- Benched the ECU; reflashed the original 52700007 rom onto it using "Recovery Mode" (which ECUFlash no longer has - Recovery Write Using OEM Bootload Method). Reflashed the ECU outside of bench mode using regular flashing method afterwards. No dice. It should be noted that when I originally tried to flash the ECU after the bench flash, a message read something along the lines of "identical data, flash not performed".

- Thinking the above was the issue, I tried checking the "Mitsu CAN RAM Parameter Logging" box to flash the ROM as they're no longer identical, then unchecking and flashing again. Once again, no dice.

- I tried "Exit Programming State" from the ECU tab

- I tried flashing a 2010 ROM for a 2.4L GTS, it wouldn't take though (test write, then bench and reflash)

The interesting thing is that when I flashed the ECU with "Mitsu CAN RAM Parameter Logging" checked, the radiator fans stayed on and I could crank the motor, however it wouldn't start regardless. The radiator fans continued to stay on as well.

The only thing I can think of is my lack of an actual definition. I have been using the unknown ROM prompt to create a "definition from scratch" using the following:

Memory Model: M32186F8
Flashing Method: mitsucan
Address: 5002a
Length: 4
Identifier (Auto Populated): 52700007
2009 USDM Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 5MT
XML ID (Auto Populated): 52700007

I'm going to guess that because I do not have a properly defined ROM and I am using ECUFlash to give me the bare bones to read/write a file, that it might be causing issues.

Any guru's chime in on this? I need the car for a new job I was just hired for as I don't want to rack up the mileage on my ST205.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Sean
Old Sep 7, 2016, 03:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
if you put the tuned ROM back in does it work ok?

since you can do a "normal" flash, that most likely rules out a corrupt rom issue (which would normally result in a fans on problem on a evo10)..
The following users liked this post:
Carvs (Sep 8, 2016)
Old Sep 7, 2016, 04:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tephra
if you put the tuned ROM back in does it work ok?

since you can do a "normal" flash, that most likely rules out a corrupt rom issue (which would normally result in a fans on problem on a evo10)..
I thought about this, however all of the tuned ROM's I used when I had a 4B11T in the vehicle were X ROM's flashed to the ECU which doesn't get me any further ahead. If I'm not mistaken, all tuning was done with a 52680015 ROM.

I'm not even positive that the motor will start up with an X ROM but I can try it when I get home if you think it will help the cause.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 06:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
Oh so it isn't just a case of swapping ROMs.. u swapped motors as well..

Probably fuse or something electrical u missed
The following users liked this post:
Carvs (Sep 8, 2016)
Old Sep 7, 2016, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tephra
Oh so it isn't just a case of swapping ROMs.. u swapped motors as well..

Probably fuse or something electrical u missed
I'm not completely convinced this is the issue just yet, however I'm going to do a full run down on the electrical system again and confirm this.

Only reason I believe this is linked solely to the ECU is the difference between flashing the ROM with "Mitsu CAN RAM Parameter Logging" checked vs. unchecked. If the motor turns over while that option is selected and flashed, but doesn't when it is not selected and flashed I'd imagine it would be ECU related.

Just a small update as well, I flashed the 52700007 ROM again and was watching the information screen on the instrument cluster. Right before the flashing completed, a message came up on the screen saying "System Error". This message only appears when I flash with "Mitsu CAN RAM Parameter Logging" unchecked, I do not get this message while it is checked. Once again, this leads me to believe that its an issue with the ROM / definition I am using.

I've tried two 52700007 ROM's, one I pulled off of the car before the swap and one I found online. Both are giving me the same issue.

I'm flashing a .bin file if that helps the matter at all

EDIT: Only other thing I can think of is if "Mitsu CAN RAM Parameter Logging" allows the ECU to bypass the ETACS. If this is the case then I would imagine you are correct with a wiring issue.

EDIT 2: Reflashed, no System Error message... Checked fuses and no dice.... ETACS concern is eliminated now but still no starting.

Last edited by Carvs; Sep 7, 2016 at 01:32 PM.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

What the actual ****......Dear lord........

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59736

Post #4

Car starts and runs beautifully, case closed

EDIT: tephra, check your PayPal

Last edited by Carvs; Sep 8, 2016 at 05:33 AM.