Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Broke my t-case while installing clutch

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broke my t-case while installing clutch

during the process of installing my clutch the engine block fell down a couple inches from a faulty jack. i had my transfer case pushed out of the way to get the tranny out. when the block slipped down it wedged the transfer case between the bock and cross bar and broke the flange on the bottom of the transfer case where the bolts go in. now i am only able to bolt the transfer case up with the 3 bolts on top and the one bolt remaining on the bottom. what can i do? is it possible to just buy the transfer case housing so i can put my internals in it?
Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

unfortunetely i think you are better off either trying to fix it or buy a used on from a member here. as far as i know getrag makes our t-case's and no parts are available seperately for purchasing.good luck.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Cool

that hurts....
Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

yea i know you cant buy parts to rebuild them so im sure u cant buy the case either, that sucks man get the jb weld out or something
Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 04 rs
yea i know you cant buy parts to rebuild them so im sure u cant buy the case either, that sucks man get the jb weld out or something
i just don't wanna spend the $$$ to buy a new case or someones good used case when mine is fine other than the 2 bolt holes. but if that is what it comes down to then i guess i gotta.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

dude, the flange is Aluminum. Take it out and have it welded. I did this with a rare Al cased 833 dodge 4 speed. Held fine.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
was thinking the same thing /\ if it broke that easy then it couldnt have been on thier 2 well a nice tig weld on it or something should hold just fine i would think as long as it was flush and such..

evoisdream
Old Aug 14, 2005, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rraulston
dude, the flange is Aluminum. Take it out and have it welded. I did this with a rare Al cased 833 dodge 4 speed. Held fine.
wouldn't it have to be welded on the car? if it was taken out and then welded it might not match up with the holes correctly.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

chances are when you put the two pieces together, you will know if they fit right. Just move it around and it should fall together. A good welder will tack it into place then hog out the material in a "V" bevel then weld it from the inside out. This will create a sloid piece when done. He will then have to grind/file the mating surface somewhat flat so as not to missalign anything. If there is ANY gap between the flange and tranny when its "stabbed" You might break it off again as tightning it up will bend the flange to meet the tranny. Easy to know, hard to explain. Good luck. Ray
Old Aug 14, 2005, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

here is a picture i found of a transfer case. i drew a line on it showing the nature of the break to give you guys a good idea of what i'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails Broke my t-case while installing clutch-transfer-case.jpg  
Old Aug 14, 2005, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rraulston
chances are when you put the two pieces together, you will know if they fit right. Just move it around and it should fall together. A good welder will tack it into place then hog out the material in a "V" bevel then weld it from the inside out. This will create a sloid piece when done. He will then have to grind/file the mating surface somewhat flat so as not to missalign anything. If there is ANY gap between the flange and tranny when its "stabbed" You might break it off again as tightning it up will bend the flange to meet the tranny. Easy to know, hard to explain. Good luck. Ray
since i am ignorant when it comes to welding what should i look for in the yellow pages? is there a certain type of welding that needs to be done?
Old Aug 15, 2005, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Thats a little larger than i was visualizing. It will have to be TIG/Heliarc welded if its repairable. You have nothing to loose trying it. I dont think they should charge more than say $75. Good luck