Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

anyone know about flywheels???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2006, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question anyone know about flywheels???

hey does anyone know what the advanages and hps gains from 6 pound loss from the flywheel. i have a 03 and i was gonna get a fidanza flywheel but i heard things about a lighter flywheel. i just got an act 2600 so i was thinking just upgrade the flywheel while im there. any suggestions????
Old Mar 27, 2006, 02:58 PM
Former Sponsor

the flywheel is basically a giant metal disk. the purpose of the flywheel is to smooth out the engine rotation by giving it a high inertia. inertia basically keeps the engine spinning at the same speed unless acted upon by another force (i.e. your foot on the throttle giving it more gas). the lighter the flywheel, the more your RPM's will fluctuate with even the slightests of changes in engine power output. so, your engine will accelerate faster in revs, but also run the risk of really ****ty idle if you go to light.

basically, a lighter flywheel will not give you horsepower. it will however reduce the rotating mass, which allows your engine to spin up faster. less power is needed to accelerate the flywheel, and it will seem like your engine is making more horsepower. additionally, simply reducing the weight of your car at all will make it faster.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 06:08 PM

ok thanks yeha i know that all the power goes to the flywheel so i guessing you gain some horse power by lightening the flywheel. spin faster and easy on the engine is my guess.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

the main thing with flywheel weight is momentum. the lighter the flywheel then the less momentom you have. this means it will be more difficult to launch your car but your engine will accelerate faster. it will also decelerate faster (we all know should the equal and opposite law by now) which can get extreamly annoying of this is a daily driver.

basically...you want a heavier flywheel for drag racing and a lighter flywheel for road racing.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the fidanza in my car and it definitely helps the car accelerate quicker. The rpms drop quicker when shifting so it actually helps on the upshift to match the rpms. They also drop quickly when down shifting so on a high rpm downshift you may want to start getting use to heel- toe. Starting on first gear you may need to get use to it since the rpms drop so quickly, but after you're use to it it's great.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

Engine braking should also be more noticable with a smaller flywheel.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:20 AM

alright thanks so basically the oem flywheel is perfect? cuz its not as heavy as most flywheels. but light enough 4 for both drag and street racing. any suggestions what i should do. if theres no main hp gains and its pain to launch, and you decrease speeds at high end like high way driving why do guys want one? for quicker acceleration? launching isnt a problem once i get use to.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

ray3328,

Do you hear a gear rattle when in 5th gear at 65mph without to touch the gas?
Old Mar 28, 2006, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

No rattle on mine.