Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Joe Gibbs XP3 oil

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2011, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joe Gibbs XP3 oil

Anyone running this oil or hear anything good about it. I just ordered up a case but now I'm wondering if this is a oil I should be running in a DD. I am currently running Castrol edge 5w30 btw.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:29 AM

Over 50 views and not one person has ever heard anything about this oil?
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
appearantly not....maybe you should have done this before ordering a case. Not the best idea to order a case of oil you've never even tried out before.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:14 PM

My service manager ordered a case which comes with 12 for a customer that needed 6. He figured he would keep the other 6 around seeing that people order it from time to time. I told him if nobody is going to buy it I'll take the other 6 but before I do I wanted to see what people are saying about this oil. I forgot this was the internet and some people get too tangled up on words. I was just looking for someone with prior experience or knew someone that did.

Either way I will probably run it seeing that this oil should be better due to a better additive package that contains more zinc, phosphate and sulfur than off the shelf oil. Judging from what have been reading new oils have started to reduce the amount of zinc, phosphate, and sulfur to prevent damage to catalytic converters. Even some of them don't even have to be 100% synthetic anymore to be considered a synthetic. From what I'm reading on their site this is a true synthetic oil that doesn't have to stick to the new standards because its designed to be used as a racing oil and not made to be emissions friendly.

On that note I guess I just answered my own question lol.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Joe Gibbs makes some awesome oil, we use the Hot Rod oil in all our customers muscle cars (especially if they have flat tappets, or are parked for extended periods of time) This oil has a high zinc content, so it should be great for a journal bearing turbo car. (this is what I plan on using, once I get my engine together)

The XP3 oil is a racing oil formulated for circle track, so I have never used it unfortunately.

You might want to just give Joe Gibbs a call and ask what they would recommend.

EDIT: Apparently they changed the name of the hotrod oil to the HR series oil

Last edited by KX250Fmotoracer; Feb 16, 2011 at 05:23 PM.