Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car wont go in gear when stationary?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car wont go in gear when stationary?

Well this last weekend I took my car on a little trip about 500 miles round trip. I had about 2 launches and a couple 3rd gear pulls. Nothing to abusive. I had no problems with the car what so ever. I came home shut the car off and about 2 hours later I had to leave somewhere again. Started up fine but when I went into first it just grind-ed really hard. Tried reverse and it made an even worse sound grinding. I shut the car off and tried shifting the gears and it went smoothly. Put it in revers and started the car right up while in gear. I got out of the drive way and while putting it in first gear with the clutch still pushed in the car started to move forward and then had to literally force it in 1st gear really hard.

While im driving from 1st to second it will shift pretty easily.
When I slow down to a complete stop and put it out of gear and release the clutch and try to take off and put it in gear, it will not go in gear for ****. I have to jam it into first.
Also when im slowing down and down shifting and right before I stop while car is still in motion I can put it in first without a problem.
What I notice when the car is in gear while stationary while clutch is fully pressed in and my foot off the brake, the car whille move forward slightly. usually the car will roll back or not move at all.

I have tried bleeding the clutch couple times and got nothing out of it.
Also check the fluid and everything is up to where its suppose to be at.

The clutch set up in my car I have is:
Exedy Twin HD w/ new TOB and clutch pill removed
STM Clutch Stop
Majbe 6k miles on this setup.

What other things should I look for before I pull the transmission off.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you check the fluid in the backright side of the brake fluid container. I has a small section for clutch pedal fluid. My slave cylinder line leaked fluid and thats what happend to me. The fluid looks high but thats only cause the brake fluid is still good even though the clutch pedal fluid was empty.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by V8HAHA
Did you check the fluid in the backright side of the brake fluid container. I has a small section for clutch pedal fluid. My slave cylinder line leaked fluid and thats what happend to me. The fluid looks high but thats only cause the brake fluid is still good even though the clutch pedal fluid was empty.
Yess I checked it and it shows its full. I had a friend who told me about this and we checked it and looked good.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 01:59 PM
Former Sponsor

how far does the pedal come up off the floor before the car wants to roll?
The best way to check is to have it the wheels in the air so you can see when they start to spin.
Sounds like the clutch isnt fully disengaged(just barely), you may have to turn the clutch stop down a little.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Travis@GSC
how far does the pedal come up off the floor before the car wants to roll?
The best way to check is to have it the wheels in the air so you can see when they start to spin.
Sounds like the clutch isnt fully disengaged(just barely), you may have to turn the clutch stop down a little.
With clutch all the way down in first gear it will roll slowly just enough to get the car going. But when I start to release the clutch it starts to disengage fully around 1 inch off the ground. ( Which is where it always disengaged )
Old Jul 30, 2013, 03:38 PM

Even tho my slave isn't leaking could it be time just to get a new one? When I went to bleed the clutch I had a hard time breaking the bleeder nut loose. To the point where I had to use a socket with 2 extensions and use a lot of force to break it loose.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No need to replace a slave cyl if its not leaking.

Probably needs bleeding and/or a pedal adjustment. Gotta get the car off the ground on jackstands and see where its engaging, if youre in gear with the clutch pedal to the floor and your tires are spinning at all, you need to adjust the pedal. Always start with a bleed to rule that out.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Svendiesel
No need to replace a slave cyl if its not leaking.

Probably needs bleeding and/or a pedal adjustment. Gotta get the car off the ground on jackstands and see where its engaging, if youre in gear with the clutch pedal to the floor and your tires are spinning at all, you need to adjust the pedal. Always start with a bleed to rule that out.
Thank you for the input. Ill try that out to see if it fixes things. I've bleed it twice already, ill try adjusting the pedal or the fork stop.