Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Axle Issue

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2013, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axle Issue

Hi I have a question... I searched the forums and couldn't find anything on this.. I realized my drivers side front axle is missing its cap seal or whatever it's called... I've searched everywhere and can't seem to find it. I've been working on my car here and there when I get a chance to come home from the military so the last I left off I can't remember if it fell off and thrown away or what.. My question is I have a spare passenger side axle can I take the seal off the passenger side axle and use it for the drivers side? Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated! In the picture I attached the far left one is the drivers side front axle middle being the passenger front old one and the far right being the new passenger front axle. I drive an 03 Lancer Evo 8 GSR. Thanks again!
Old Nov 14, 2013, 02:56 PM

Old Nov 14, 2013, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Weird, I don't see it in the Mitsubishi manual. (Front Axle file attached)

Found here just in case you don't have one.

Evo Manuals
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
GR00005000-26.pdf (938.9 KB, 0 views)
Old Nov 14, 2013, 03:34 PM

Hmm thanks for the response. I wonder is it just a dust shield to protect the rubber seal on the transfer case? I just need to drive this thing back to Texas from STL and if it can last till I get home that would be great.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dann
Hmm thanks for the response. I wonder is it just a dust shield to protect the rubber seal on the transfer case? I just need to drive this thing back to Texas from STL and if it can last till I get home that would be great.
It's just a dust shield man, I'm sure you could because they're the same OD. You can also just not even replace it.

Be CAREFUL using that aftermarket axle! Please be sure that it's the same length as the OEM axle.

I had my passenger side axle boot rip awhile back so I went to advanced and got an aftermarket axle. It was shorter than the OEM axle and since it was shorter it hyper extended to boots causing them to rip within a few days. Not only that but since the axle itself was shorter it did not fully seat on the seal on the transfer case. The transfer case leaked and I got the death whine shortly after....

Long story short, got aftermarket axle, axle too short, didn't seat tcase seal, tcase leaked like mad, got death whine.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 04:00 PM

Thanks man!! I figured it was a dust shield! I ordered new OEM but by the time it gets to my parents house I'll be gone due to the military.. I'll have them ship it to me or something. Funny you mention aftermarket too. That passenger axle spare I have is indeed short and won't be going on the car. Also it may be a lancer axle because the inside where he splines enter and the locking rings grab hold is not there. Just smooth spline entry nothing for the ring to catch on so that spare I'm just holding for ****s and giggles. thanks Guys for the responses!!