Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

mil-spec 65mm tb issue

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 03:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mil-spec 65mm tb issue

First off i made the mistake of buying this used. everytime i buy a used part of decent value i get screwed. I installed this with a map rev3 intake manifold. Manifold was purchased through map when they still cost over $800 even with core so i figured picking up the tb used would save some money.

Member told me it had a couple of thousand miles on it and that was it. first off thats a lie unless during that few thousand miles he adjusted the biss screw thousands of times because when doing a blt the biss screw leaks horribly. shaft seals seem to be alright no leaks there.

now for the problem. on start up i get a higher rev than normal and then the idle settles down to normal once warmed up. dont know if this is normal or not when switching to a bigger tb? second problem is when cruising and letting off the gas the car feels like it has cruise control. car will not decel when letting off the gas and afrs stay at 14.7 until i put my foot under the pedal and lift up, at this point the afrs go to --- like they should and car decels like normal. if i come to a red light and this happens and i do not lift the gas pedal up idle will stay around 2k rpm until i do so then drop to normal after lifting pedal up with my foot.

at first i thought the throttle cable was sticking so i used a little white lithium grease on the cable... nothing. next thing i did was pull the tb and replace with my old stock one. problem fixed. now i would like to diagnose this tb so im not out money from a member that ripped me. any suggestions or advice on what could be wrong? i will also add that i know this milspec tb is from an evo 9 and i have an evo 8. i know this because of the weird plate and screw on the tb on my stock one and the milspec unit does not have it. could this be causing the problem? the spring is tensioned properly and i doubt the member had it apart after buying it from mil spec, chances are though that he bought it used from a member and had the same problems i do and is why he sold it so cheap.

any advice is appreciated.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by awdordie
car will not decel when letting off the gas and afrs stay at 14.7 until i put my foot under the pedal and lift up, at this point the afrs go to --- like they should and car decels like normal. if i come to a red light and this happens and i do not lift the gas pedal up idle will stay around 2k rpm until i do so then drop to normal after lifting pedal up with my foot.
This paragraph tells me that throttle body isn't closing naturally on its own when off throttle. There are only a few things that could cause such IMO.
1. throttle cable adjusted to tight, not enough slack.
2. throttle plate spring on the throttle body sticking or not wound correct.
3. throttle body seals worn/sticking causing the plate and shaft to move slower.

Travis
Old Apr 17, 2014, 09:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I have since pm'd this member; as he emailed me as well, to send me pics of the tb & if it is a mil.spec tb, I will help him out with a rebuild.

I was curious to see if i can find out who he bought it from. I wasnt successful & I havent heard back from the op.

However, I did locate a f/s add claiming to sell a mil.spec 65mm unit, but the picture displayed is of a oem tb

maybe the seller posted the wrong pic.....regardless, he is supposed to be posting pics of what is for sale.

buyers beware

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...ottlebody.html
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:30 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
People need to report threads like that. We can't catch them all.

For sale threads need signs for a reason.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 01:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by golgo13
People need to report threads like that. We can't catch them all.

For sale threads need signs for a reason.
That was my intent.

As stated earlier, i just found that thread.

Unfortunately the sale had already been done.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 01:02 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Just a friendly reminder for the community.

We need herd immunity against spammers, scammers and con artists.

Gotta look out for each other, yo!
Old Apr 17, 2014, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13
Just a friendly reminder for the community.

We need herd immunity against spammers, scammers and con artists.

Gotta look out for each other, yo!

That would wipe out a great percentage of the posts in the For Sale section if that happened.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:39 PM
Evolving Member

Back on topic, id say 1. throttle plate spring on the throttle body sticking or not wound correct.
2. throttle body seals worn/sticking causing the plate and shaft to move slower.
as turbotboz said. As easy as it sounds the throttle cable adjusted to tight, not enough slack.is a good place to start.

Although id probly put my money on Throttle body seals, as i drove myself crazy trying to find this issue.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Aby is obviously looking into this with the owner of the TB and we will help him out however we can
Old Apr 18, 2014, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have emailed aby back with the pics. This is definately a ported tb of some kind. Throttle cable is not adjusted too tight. That was the first thing i checked... sorry for not mentioning that. That would be a rookie mistake but thanks for looking out. as for the spring, it looks to be tensioned properly from what i can tell and if i manually open the throttle the plate snaps back like it should. As for the seals, thhey may be worn, but they are still holding 30 psi on a leak test. I might add i bought this quite a while backk, just now getting around to sort out all the issues ive had. At first map sent me a rev2 and quickly fixed their mistake, followed by me neglecting to use 2 oem gaskets with their spacer whichh caused boost leaks, and now my latest issue is this. Im sure we will figure this out. And shouldnt sway anyone from purchasing anything from these guys as this was not their fault and beyond their control.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 06:09 AM
Former Sponsor

I pm'd awdordie,

From the pics & who it was purchased from, it is an early MIL.SPEC tb. I found some records dating back to 2/09.

We'll get this sorted
Old Apr 18, 2014, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Check and see if the throttle body plate is centered, if it was removed for any reason and the shaft wasnt seated all the way, the plate will still fit inside but it will hang up on the edge. I accidently did that the first time I'd ever done TB seals and my throttle would stick slightly
Old Apr 21, 2014, 04:33 AM
Evolving Member

Glad to see MIL.SPEC standing by their product!