Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is 20g upgrade different for evo 8/9?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2014, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is 20g upgrade different for evo 8/9?

I was going to purchase this for my stock 05 turbo but it says it fits evo 9 only and not 8. Can someone tell me why? I like the 3" inlet and anti surge ports this offers. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kinugawa-Turbo-Compressor-Housing-3-Anti-Surge-20G-wheel-4G63T-EVO-9-Upgrade-/381093843229?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58baf6911d&vxp=mtr
Can these swaps be done at home or does a shop have to do this due to turbo balancing issues?
Old Dec 29, 2014, 09:44 PM

The turbine wheel and shaft are dynamically balanced from MHI, assuming that the aftermarket compressor is balanced properly out the box you should be good to go.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He is not good to go. First off you can not mount an Evo IX compressor housing onto an Evo 8 turbo as the center sections are not the same. Secondly you absolutely have to have the turbo balanced when throwing on a new compressor wheel. You will need an Evo 9 turbo as a host for this to work and you will need a shop to properly balance the setup.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by RyuEvoIX
He is not good to go. First off you can not mount an Evo IX compressor housing onto an Evo 8 turbo as the center sections are not the same. Secondly you absolutely have to have the turbo balanced when throwing on a new compressor wheel. You will need an Evo 9 turbo as a host for this to work and you will need a shop to properly balance the setup.

Half of what you said is right the other half is not. Yes chra evo 8 vs evo 9 backplate size is different, but you can run the turbo as is without anysort of issues if both wheels are bought balanced.

to o.p : check the link to see the difference.
http://www.boostedfilms.com/joomla/e...-9-differences

Marios
Old Dec 30, 2014, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evo8cy
Half of what you said is right the other half is not. Yes chra evo 8 vs evo 9 backplate size is different, but you can run the turbo as is without anysort of issues if both wheels are bought balanced.

to o.p : check the link to see the difference.
http://www.boostedfilms.com/joomla/e...-9-differences

Marios
All of what I stated is accurate. Your going to buy a compressor wheel off of eBay that spins over 18,000rpms and assume it's properly balanced? Foolish assumption... Op, always have a shop go through the balancing process when swapping wheels to verify your good to go.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 07:30 PM

Thanks guys, I always assumed have a shop do it was the best thing to do but I had "heard" it's not needed so I just wanted some other opinions. Thanks for the responses.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:13 PM
Account Disabled

Someone told the 8 comp housomg well go on a 9 not true?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by RyuEvoIX
All of what I stated is accurate. Your going to buy a compressor wheel off of eBay that spins over 18,000rpms and assume it's properly balanced? Foolish assumption... Op, always have a shop go through the balancing process when swapping wheels to verify your good to go.

No what you have posted actually is not accurate. If you are going to say something either know what you are talking about or do not post at all as posting inaccuracies gives people the wrong info on things.

Now on to the subject matter itself:

-Firstly do not assume you know how I think or do things.

-Secondly do not put words I have not said as such. I have neither mentioned nor implied either ebay or any other source of getting either a compression wheel or a turbine one. I merely stated that when you buy balanced wheels, from any source you consider trustworthy,reliable and adequate to your standards then you can put together a unit that does not need to be re-balanced by any other shop. An intended particular example to make myself even more clear is, if you buy an fp red turbo and your turbine wheel gets damaged and you call FP and ask to buy and be sent a brand new balanced turbine wheel which you will replace your old one, the specific turbo will not need to be balanced. The same goes for ebay and shops you consider worth buying items from.

Marios