Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 8 blown motor oil cooler question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 blown motor oil cooler question

Hello everyone,

I'm some what new to the evo scene but not new to cars in general. So my question is my motor in my evo had a rod knock. Turns out a rod bearing went out and sent metal through the motor. The motor is being replaced with a new built one. The question I have is am I able to just replace the oil cooler core and just clean and flush out and crap in the oil cooler lines? The reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to get the car up and running but trying to save money where I can. I know a solid oil cooler kit runs about $450+, so if I can save on the whole kit and just replace the oil cooler core would be great. I know the cheap route isn't usually the best but like I mentioned before if I can save money without jeopardizing the build I'd like too. Please any help will be greatly appreciated. Also I have done my research and is hard to find a solid answer on this particular question. Thanks again for any help.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If your buying the oil cooler, the only other thing to replace are the cooler lines (2) hoses. Whats most important it to replace the cooler--my guess is you could scrimp on the lines and rinse, or get some made--which is not as expensive. Just take what you have to a shop that builds hoses and they will whip them out for you.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by meckert
If your buying the oil cooler, the only other thing to replace are the cooler lines (2) hoses. Whats most important it to replace the cooler--my guess is you could scrimp on the lines and rinse, or get some made--which is not as expensive. Just take what you have to a shop that builds hoses and they will whip them out for you.
ok I'll check into that. Thanks for the helpful reply!
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
STM's oil cooler kit is about $350.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
STM's oil cooler kit is about $350.
I did see those and that is one of the kits I was considering if I needed to buy one. Ever run one or know someone who has?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I don't, but STM doesn't sell junk. It wil lwork for someone who doesn't need the absolute best cooler for doing track days. The B&M cooler isn't as efficient as a Setrab, but a Setrab is a decent bit more money.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I don't, but STM doesn't sell junk. It wil lwork for someone who doesn't need the absolute best cooler for doing track days. The B&M cooler isn't as efficient as a Setrab, but a Setrab is a decent bit more money.
Yea I'm not tracking the car, yet that is. Just want to get it drivable and be reliable as well. Thanks for the info
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
I've run the STM kit before and they work just fine. Just be careful when installing the -AN fittings onto the oil cooler. The threads on the -AN fittings gall so easily it's retarded, but that's the nature of metal large thread pipe threaded fittings. Pay close attention to how far they tightened the fittings in the picture on the website. It looks to be showing about 3 to 4 threads out with teflon.

The kit can be had right now at STM for 279.00 shipped with the bracket. I recommend you go this route and NOT reuse any parts from the old oil cooler.

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...cooler_kit.htm

-pal215

Last edited by Pal215; Jan 5, 2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Pal215
I've run the STM kit before and they work just fine. Just be careful when installing the -AN fittings onto the oil cooler. The threads on the -AN fittings gall so easily it's retarded, but that's the nature of pipe threaded fittings.

The kit can be had right now at STM for 279.00 shipped with the bracket. I recommend you go this route and NOT reuse any parts from the old oil cooler.

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...cooler_kit.htm

-pal215
-pal215
That's what I'm leaning towards. I figure spending the extra money and having no issues is better than saving some money and it ending up sending metal through the motor. How much hp are you making? I'll be making around 550-600awhp. Will it be good for that power?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 03:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Geib1892
That's what I'm leaning towards. I figure spending the extra money and having no issues is better than saving some money and it ending up sending metal through the motor. How much hp are you making? I'll be making around 550-600awhp. Will it be good for that power?
Listed in my sig , oil coolers generally don't have a hp restriction on them. The STM oil cooler kit will easily work for your goals.

It takes between 4 to 5k + long wait times to properly build a motor and that's if you're installing the motor into the car yourself. Best not to take chances and replace the oil cooler and lines. Don't forget to flush your oil filter housing and turbo lines if you plan to reuse them.

-pal215
Old Jan 5, 2017, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Pal215
Listed in my sig , oil coolers generally don't have a hp restriction on them. The STM oil cooler kit will easily work for your goals.

It takes between 4 to 5k + long wait times to properly build a motor and that's if you're installing the motor into the car yourself. Best not to take chances and replace the oil cooler and lines. Don't forget to flush your oil filter housing and turbo lines if you plan to reuse them.

-pal215
Yea I wasn't too sure if they did or not. Appreciate the advice. I think I'm just going to get the kit and replace any lines that had oil through them. Cost money now but will save me from have the same thing happen. Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 5, 2017, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Don't reuse.

Buy oem used from good known engine
Old Jan 9, 2017, 09:48 PM

if your not tracking ditch the cooler all together. save weight, headache, and money
Old Jan 10, 2017, 09:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DO NOT reuse.

We've used the STM kit and it's perfect. Well worth it.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
I thought 1.5 was coarse thread.

I think m16x1.25 is what you need.