Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

....More clunking >=(

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2004, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
....More clunking >=(

The Saga continues....

Heres the run down. Every time I go from a stop I hear a "clunk".... at least that's all it did at first. After taking a U turn... at full throttle and getting a bit of tire spin the clunking escalated a bit =/. Now if I am cruising or slowing down (not accelerating) it's like "clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk” the speed of the clunking depends on how fast I'm going, doesn't matter if the clutch is in or out. I have no whine noise, and I took the evo to a parking lot and did some figure 8s. No "blown front diff" like symptoms. The wheel turned fine, the car handled good still drove straight as an arrow.

I thought it may have been like brake pad deposits or something so I got on the brakes a bit. About 60 to 20mph hard, did it 3 times. Seemed to fix things for about a minute =P. So, I’m driving along and I notice my brake pedal is very loose at random times when I'm breaking. I'll be driving, press the brake, and almost have it to the floor before the car starts to stop, after than it'll brake like normal. Until I get going again and have to brake after a bit of driving, then were back to super soft feeling pedal

So yeah... clunking noise when not accelerating, brakes are now being weird.

I noticed the initial clunking after putting new tires on the car. Same stock wheels with Yokohama AVS winter tires <---- I know it's not winter, but my advans are friggin bald, and I’d rather not die waiting to get new tires =P
Old May 20, 2004, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

Before someone says "wtf did you make a hard U turn with your Evo clunking". The Evo clunks all the time, it's hard to tell which clunk to worry about, and which ones not to. I figured it was just that pesky front end clunk I had going on awhile ago (the one that clunks when you take hard right turns, and when you hit bumps in the road...ect) that just went away, and had now come back. Now I know it wasn't >=/
Old May 21, 2004, 03:33 AM
Evolved Member

Odd question, but have you re-torqued your lug nuts recently? If your wheels were unevenly torqued (air gun?) there's a chance some lug nuts may be backing out. It was the comment about the brakes that has me asking, almost sounds like your rotors are "floating" slightly..
Old May 21, 2004, 04:34 AM

the clunking is probably your antiroll bar. mine does it and there is a redesigned antiroll bar that should be released sometime this month.

i had the same thing happen with my brakes, i pushed almost to the floor and nothing, then i pumped them a few times and i had my brake pedal back. scared the crap out of me. has never done it since.
Old May 21, 2004, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$hit man I have an encounter with that wierd braking issue the other day. It was like the brake weren't working at 100%. I had to push the pedal down almost to the floor to stop No clucking though

Originally Posted by erioshi
Odd question, but have you re-torqued your lug nuts recently? If your wheels were unevenly torqued (air gun?) there's a chance some lug nuts may be backing out. It was the comment about the brakes that has me asking, almost sounds like your rotors are "floating" slightly..
If one of his wheels were coming off he would know it. It wouldn't be just a clunk here n' there
Old May 21, 2004, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by erioshi

Sure did! I wasn't sure what to torque them to (I meant to check, but forgot about it). But I did use a torque wrench and they are all the same =/
Old May 21, 2004, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

I should have a mod change this subject to "Ultor = retard"=P

I had a couple loose lugnuts on the driver side front wheel. Tightened everything back down to 80 ft lbs and everything is back to normal. Whew! I thought I had a $1000+ problem on my hands!

Old May 21, 2004, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Haha thats good news man I had that happen before on a previous car. Dam tire shop used a air guna and did not properly torque the tires properly.