Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need advise

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2014, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advise

Hey everyone,

I am in the middle of replacing my clutch and I was taking off the fly wheel to go have it resurface when I noticed one of the bolts are pretty rounded. Every other bolt came of just fine but this one will not budge. I tried to be careful as much as possible but its pretty bad.

Anyone have any advise on how to get rounded bolts out? I did run to the store and get a socket that is suppose to grab it but the socket "teeth" just rounded out.

Thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2014, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

You should post up a pic so we can see how bad. Typically your best bet is to hammer on a smaller socket but if yours in damn near completely round then there is no edge for the socket to grab. They do make those twist sockets you bang on like the ones you would take a wheel lock off with if you do not have the key. Similar idea though, hammer it on and hope it bites when you put torque on it.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EatSleepBoost
You should post up a pic so we can see how bad. Typically your best bet is to hammer on a smaller socket but if yours in damn near completely round then there is no edge for the socket to grab. They do make those twist sockets you bang on like the ones you would take a wheel lock off with if you do not have the key. Similar idea though, hammer it on and hope it bites when you put torque on it.

It was completely rounded then i took a grinder to it to square it up a bit and hammered a socket on but as soon as i used the impact on it, it would just pop off
Old Feb 21, 2014, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

I was gonna say to put 6 point edges on it again and try. Hm. I would do it by hand. The impact might be hurting you. I would spend time to makes some edges, get socket with a good bite and do it by hand. That way if you can see the socket begin to slip, stop take it off and grind or change sockets. The impact is just gonna spin like crazy and you cannot watch it like you can by hand. Once it moves a little bit you are home free so i would do it by hand.

edit, Put pressure on back of the rachet while turning to keep the pressure towards the flywheel to help keep it from slipping off
Old Feb 21, 2014, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EatSleepBoost
I was gonna say to put 6 point edges on it again and try. Hm. I would do it by hand. The impact might be hurting you. I would spend time to makes some edges, get socket with a good bite and do it by hand. That way if you can see the socket begin to slip, stop take it off and grind or change sockets. The impact is just gonna spin like crazy and you cannot watch it like you can by hand. Once it moves a little bit you are home free so i would do it by hand.

edit, Put pressure on back of the rachet while turning to keep the pressure towards the flywheel to help keep it from slipping off
Ok Ill give that a try when I get someone to hold the crank pulley side.

Thanks
Old Feb 21, 2014, 06:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
You don't need someone else to hold it. Look at step #56.

http://www.evomoto.com/tech_articles..._article_id=27
Old Feb 22, 2014, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

I would put all the other bolts back in and tighten them so all the pressure isn't on the bolt you're trying to get out. Like others said, try and get edges back on it and use a smaller socket, or a crescent wrench, or cut a line down the head of the bolt to get a flat head chisel with a socket on the end to turn it. There's a bunch of ways, just get creative and take your time!
Old Feb 22, 2014, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Or you could just spot weld a small bolt head to the round one and back it out that way. Like we have to do when rebuilding acd pumps for those damn long bolts lol
Old Feb 22, 2014, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Wrong thread post, sorry.

Last edited by jrainwater; Feb 22, 2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Supergoslow
I would put all the other bolts back in and tighten them so all the pressure isn't on the bolt you're trying to get out. Like others said, try and get edges back on it and use a smaller socket, or a crescent wrench, or cut a line down the head of the bolt to get a flat head chisel with a socket on the end to turn it. There's a bunch of ways, just get creative and take your time!

I will try this when I get home. Good Idea. And trust me I get pretty creative haha I had to make my own slide hammer with the handle from my jack a long bolt and some washers. Haha
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
easiest way if you have access to a welder is to weld a nut onto it. If not grind the head off and remove the flywheel. After the flywheel is out of the way put some vice grips on it (might be a good idea to heat it up first tho so the loctite melts).
Old Mar 1, 2014, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

So I finally got it off. I ended up grinding the head of the bolt off. Once it was off I heated up the rest and the damn thing turned by hand. I was very happy.