Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need some experienced DYI'ers to check the labor bill..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2013, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some experienced DYI'ers to check the labor bill..

So the Evo 8 was leaking a small amount of oil, so I took it to the shop cause they said they would find the leak for free. Well it turns out its a cam seal, and he said while he is in there he might as well replace both cams seals (good idea), the crank seal, and the timing belt. And wants $250-$300. In labor. The Evo has 94,xxx miles on it and the 60k was done.
My question is, do you guys think I should already replace the belt again? It's only been34k miles. I replaced my cams so I know how easy the cam and crank seal will be. I just don't see $250-$300 worth of work unless he has to replace the timing belt.

Thanks for any opinions!
Old Aug 26, 2013, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
heres the question, how long do u think it'll take YOU to do it?
every shop has their own rate, usually its roughly $100/hr plus cost of parts.
so if u can do it in less than 2.5 - 3 hours then do it yourself.

u did the cams and now the cam seals are leaking...
Old Aug 26, 2013, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If the belt has come into contact with oil, then absolutely replace it. As for pricing, that seems pretty reasonable for a timing belt replacement to me.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
At the shop where I work, $250 is about 2hr labor. If they only want $250-$300 to do all of that...... do it. It really comes down to how much is your time worth if you did this job at the house?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 08:23 AM

Since the crank seal is being replaced, the timing belt has to come off regardless. Which also means all the other belts have to come off, the pulley has to come off, the lower cover has to come off, the timing belt has to come off, and the sprocket has to come off. Then it all has to go back on. So yes, $250-300 seems like a reasonable amount, for the about of time and work that will go into it.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 09:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Why do they want to replace the crank seal too? In a 14 years of dsm's and Evo's I've never had a leaking crank seal... Then again I guess I never had leaking cam seal either.

Do you have your valve cover vented to atmosphere or back to the intake?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Why do they want to replace the crank seal too? In a 14 years of dsm's and Evo's I've never had a leaking crank seal... Then again I guess I never had leaking cam seal either.

Do you have your valve cover vented to atmosphere or back to the intake?
I guess just to replace it while they are in there. I'm not sure about the valve cover. How do I check that? I know the bov is intake. Lol.
It does seem like a good price for labor. It just seems redundant to change the belt, but I guess I may as well for that rate. I don't really want to do the belt so I guess ill pay them
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by CivicSpoon
Since the crank seal is being replaced, the timing belt has to come off regardless. Which also means all the other belts have to come off, the pulley has to come off, the lower cover has to come off, the timing belt has to come off, and the sprocket has to come off. Then it all has to go back on. So yes, $250-300 seems like a reasonable amount, for the about of time and work that will go into it.
this.

since the timing belt has to come off, you may as well replace it while it's off