Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Intermittent Throttle Hang

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2014, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent Throttle Hang

I had my car tuned at English Racing a few months ago and ever since then I have notice a slight throttle hang when I let off on the accelerator. I was assuming it was because of the timing being advanced a bit far. I have heard that after a tune this is a pretty common result. Recently I have had some random occurrence of severe throttle hang. After driving very conservatively for almost a week I had the engine hold at 3100 rpm with no input. I noticed it getting off the freeway and decelerating in 4rth gear, the car was not slowing down like is should. Later that day on the way home, after some city driving, it started doing it again, but this time it would drop to normal idol then rev back up to 3100. At this point I let out the clutch slowly with the brake on and pulled the idle back, it stumbled a bit but then back in neutral the idle stayed constant. I figured all this was because the Evo was upset with me for driving below the boost and getting on it. So getting on the free way I hammered it through a couple of gears. Since then it has not happened again.
Any suggestions as to what this might be an indication of?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Are u on the stock ecu or standalone?
either way, I suggest you bring it up to ER's attention and I am sure they will figure it out for ya!
Old Jan 27, 2014, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I had the same issue but it was only if it was 40* or less outside, idle would hang so bad in between gears it sounded like I was trying to no lift shift as I normal drove. Ended up being moisture on my throttle body springs was making the springs stiffer the colder it got. Sounds dumb but I noticed it got worse after I washed my engine bay one day, sprayed the throttle body spring with liquid wrench and it hasn't happened since. And this was literally an all the time issue. Hope it helps...I'm on AEM STMTuned btw
Old Jan 28, 2014, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Simmons
when I let off on the accelerator.
just dont let off anymore
Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:22 PM

Stock ECU

Originally Posted by detroit pistins
Are u on the stock ecu or standalone?
either way, I suggest you bring it up to ER's attention and I am sure they will figure it out for ya!
The car is stock aside from intake & exhaust. I would normally take it back to ER for evaluation, but because I live in Lake Stevens, its not exactly a quick drive. If I go back down there I would have more work done than just the tune, and I am trying not to pour too much money into non essentials.
I have a real time OBD2 scanner that I can monitor certain sensors with my cell phone. Using this, I was able to see that the car runs at +50 deg Timing when cruising, and drops to +13-15 deg when hard acceleration.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If your throttle cable not routed as stock make sure it's not catching. I had similar problem when I tried to put too many twists/turns trying to "tuck" it.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:02 PM

As far as I know the throttle cable is routed OEM, I was suspicious that it might be binding up though, until the idol went from 1100 rpm up to 3100, then back down to 1100 by itself...
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It is also possible your IAC valve is on it's way out. I've experienced that as well, it'll hang and then bounce randomly. The teeth on the motor get worn down and it starts to get funky.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 06:09 PM

i fought this issue almost to your exact situation last month. I ended up lubing my cable, and checking the routing because I did the "tuck" to it also. making sure it was moving freely when disconnected. I then cleaned the throttle plate of some carbon buildup and after 1-2 days driving and learning the hang has never occurred once since. this was all after its first tune. it was hanging so bad It was pissing me off to drive it. all is good now, and good luck.

-Bryan
Old Jan 29, 2014, 06:11 PM

Also like awd96 said, iac could be going out also. for the same reason you have stated, the idle up and down on its own. mine does that also, and I plan on changing it out. but as for as the throttle hang what I did fixed mine completely
Old Feb 4, 2014, 04:53 PM

Well, I tried some lube on the throttle spring, as well as up the first 4 inches of the throttle cable and did some "spirited" driving over the weekend. It seems to have gone away. I am still not convinced that it is not the ICS going out, I guess I will have to just wait and see.
GO HAWKS!!!