Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Alky kit users, please chime in...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alky kit users, please chime in...

I am considering installing an Aquamist HFS-6 kit and wanted to get some info from people that use alky kits. I don't have e85 near me and have always ran pump gas (crappy 91oct lol). Mainly looking for people that have been running them for a long time and if they had any issues. I am a bit hesitant on running an alky kit which is why I would like some testimonials from people that are currently using them. Appreciate any helpful info.

Btw, I know there is a forum for Alcohol Injection, but doesn't seem like too many people look in there, which is why I posted in this forum.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re

I ran the HFS 6 for about 2 years before I ended up seizing a rod bearing. Was it related to running the method injection?, probably.

My setup was running stock turbo and bolt ons with 90 octane gas, made just over 400hp on the vd and went 11.8 in the 1/4. This was a 70hp gain over my non method tune. I was running stock injectors and a .8 and .9 jet. One right before the throttle plate and the bigger one farther towards the intercooler. I was running straight methanol no water.

I really liked running meth injection and will probably continue to do so, will just run less of it and add in water, maybe try pre compressor injection.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by akeric
I ran the HFS 6 for about 2 years before I ended up seizing a rod bearing. Was it related to running the method injection?, probably.

My setup was running stock turbo and bolt ons with 90 octane gas, made just over 400hp on the vd and went 11.8 in the 1/4. This was a 70hp gain over my non method tune. I was running stock injectors and a .8 and .9 jet. One right before the throttle plate and the bigger one farther towards the intercooler. I was running straight methanol no water.

I really liked running meth injection and will probably continue to do so, will just run less of it and add in water, maybe try pre compressor injection.
Sucks about the rod bearing, but I guess when modifying, anything can happen. If I go this route, I plan on running denatured alcohol which makes less power than 100% meth but at least I won't have to worry about damaging the pump etc. Good to see you ran it for a while and will continue to do so.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

don't do it unless you have to. i lost my grand national motor due to a pump failure. just a pain in the rump making sure you have alcohol etc. but it you insist use a razor kit. i have experience with aquamist smc aem and razor. and razors kit is by far the best. very easy to tune ramp rate against your afr.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I got sick of filling it up honestly.

Personally, unless I was racing (where I would use race fuel anyways I guess), I would only use water injection if I lived in hot areas so I could run more timing, and tune accordingly.. I wouldn't use alky anymore, I think it has too many risks if it failed.

Just my opinion
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

I've been running HFS-3 for a few years. Run 50/50 mix 92/93 have had zero issues with it. 2 gallon tank in the trunk I do not have to fill it all that often. So seems to be a mix of reviews and experiences. I'm happy with my kit, i would only use the aquamist kit
Old Apr 2, 2015, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Definitely some mixed reviews so far, that's what is scaring me lol I wish I had e85 but 91oct is definitely a limiting factor for me. I am wondering if most of the issues are from people that run straight meth instead of a mixture or denatured alcohol.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

i ran denatured. my problem was the p.o.s. pump. if you have only 91 i think meth may be a viable option just unfortunate.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 06:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by akeric

How would a seized rod bearing be due to meth injection, just curious. Sounds more like an oil or clearance issue.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
If you have e85 go e85.

Meth is awesome I was running the aem kit with failsafe which worked perfect for me. I also tested every fAilure mode(no fluid, leak in the line, no pump). As long as you tune is setup with good fail over modes it will be just fine.

The only part about meth injection that sucks is you are running two fuel systems and now have two points of failure.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 01:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vaflyboi757
How would a seized rod bearing be due to meth injection, just curious. Sounds more like an oil or clearance issue.
Nothing was ever conclusive. This was the original motor with 30,000 miles on it. It started knocking after a pull during the winter and then seized the next day. The meth kit was the only significant mod at the time and I was spraying a large amount of it. 50% of my fuel was from the meth injection. Personally I believe meth kits make great power for the money and will continue to use one. I might just have gone a bit to far this last time.