Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How To - Install and Maintain HKS drop-in filter (or any foam filter)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2004, 01:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To - Install and Maintain HKS drop-in filter (or any foam filter)

originally this was a reply to this thread:https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=90433

but I thought it would better serve the forum here. I make no attempt to alter my usual rambling, informal style.

___

you are supposed to oil it. just like a k&n (or other gauze-type filter), foam filters must be oiled to effectively trap dirt and other funk. without oil they let a whole hell of a lot of contaminants through. paper filters are the only thing that can be dry. oh, excluding those insane metal mesh filters. those things don't filter worth a damn.

here's what you use:
http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Cha...5Fid=267%2D1290
(spray on, it's easiest)

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Cha...%5Fid=19%2D5021
(what I used, it's cheaper and I didn't have spray on available... musta ran out)

if you don't want to mail order go to your nearest dirtbike shop.
___

how to apply:
**all steps** be careful handling filter. do not treat like a sponge, because it could tear.
1. clean filter unless brand new. use warm water and dish soap only.
2. gently squeeze out water and blot dry with paper towels or blow compressed air through it.
3. when fully dry, apply a little bit of oil. start very conservative and add oil slowly after you are sure you don't have enough to cover.
4. work oil into filter. some people like to use a ziplock bag to reduce the amount of oil they get on their hands. kneed gently with hands.
5. apply a little bit more oil if needed. get full coverage (this is where spray on is tons easier)
6. when full coverage is attained, GENTLY squeeze out excess.
7. gently blot dry with paper towels or blow compressed air through it.
8. make sure there is no filmy oil. it shouldn't be wet-- just oiled and almost dry. no oil should come out if you press on it anywhere. if there's oil, you need to squeeze & blot some more.

after you do this a few times, you'll learn how much oil to use and you won't have to fidget so much to remove the excess.

and yes, the HKS drop-in is very silent. it does not make roaring noises like a cone filter on-a-stick. I haven't heard a drop-in K&N but wouldn't expect a lot of noise from that either. I would suggest that everyone still using the VAF / MAF sensor to keep the stock airbox and use a drop-in filter of some kind.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 01:54 AM
Evolving Member

here are a some pics of the properly oiled HKS filter. when you reinstall it, make sure the rough side is facing up.

notice that there is no oil pooled in my airbox. after a bit of driving, this is also a good clue as to whether you have over-oiled or not.
Attached Thumbnails How To - Install and Maintain HKS drop-in filter (or any foam filter)-evo_hksfilter800_1.jpg   How To - Install and Maintain HKS drop-in filter (or any foam filter)-evo_hksfilter800_2.jpg   How To - Install and Maintain HKS drop-in filter (or any foam filter)-evo_hksfilter800_3.jpg  
Old Jul 24, 2004, 01:56 AM
Evolving Member

I may take pics of cleaning & applying oil next time but I'll need an assistant to operate the camera...