Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Front Suspension Clunk Noise

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2009, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front Suspension Clunk Noise

Under hard braking my front suspension makes a loud clunk. Then when I accelerate afterwards it makes the same clunk again. If I brake hard, then jack the car up it will also make the clunking noise when the tires are almost off the ground. I have gone over the front suspension multiple times and I cannot find the cause. I know people have had an issue with a front end clunking noise, but I cannot find a definitive answer to what the cause is or how to fix it. My car has 100k miles on it. Thanks.
Old May 17, 2009, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

A. Check ball joints,

B. Check sway bar linkage( is it secured, is it tightened down)

c. Check lower front control arms( are the bushings worn away, is it tighetened down)

d. Check the calipers are they properly tightened.

Did you hit a huge pot hole, or run a curb??? If so you may want to pull off some of the main bolts to the suspension and check for thread damage. I say this because I hit a damn sidewalk w/ the evo. The bolt holding the ball joint to the knuckle was stripped.
Old May 17, 2009, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my axles where broken when i had that sound comming from the front. after i changed the axles it was still making that noise and my mechanic found the prob in my transfer case. it was my differential. it was destroyed after a weekend at the speedway doing 1/4 miles passes. hope this helps .
Old May 17, 2009, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LVmevo
my axles where broken when i had that sound comming from the front. after i changed the axles it was still making that noise and my mechanic found the prob in my transfer case. it was my differential. it was destroyed after a weekend at the speedway doing 1/4 miles passes. hope this helps .
I hope thats not the case. I think its suspension related because I can get it to make the noise if I just coast in neutral down a hill.
Old May 18, 2009, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Bump, anyone?
Old May 18, 2009, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The same here but my car has been doing this since the day it left the showroom. Now, 60k later, nothing has fallen off.
Old May 19, 2009, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

I put a wrench on every bolt I could get to on the front suspension, but the only thing that turned was the cross bars under the exhaust. Now I can't get the car to make the noise, so it must have been those cross bars shifting or something.