Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

is there a problem with my brakes....?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2003, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is there a problem with my brakes....?

my steering wheel vibrates quite a bit when i step on the brakes with light to moderate force. The vibration goes away when i continue stepping on the brakes.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

yes...

this topic has been covered over and over...

your rotors will have to be resurfaced, but i'd try and get them replaced... since mine were done, i have had ZERO trouble, and this is with the stock pads...
Old Nov 18, 2003, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Is everything tightened? Are you running with the stock pads and shims? Aftermarket pads (or stock pads) installed without shims usually move about a bit with light pedal pressure.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

What speeds are you seeing this at? I'm starting to see a little of it myself.. around 3000 miles on my EVO.. only seem to notice it at higher speeds.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: is there a problem with my brakes....?

Originally posted by SlowCar
my steering wheel vibrates quite a bit when i step on the brakes with light to moderate force. The vibration goes away when i continue stepping on the brakes.
I've noticed this too. It's very strange because if it were warped rotors, they should shudder all the time when the brakes are applied.... In my case, the vibration/shudder occurs only at certain times. It seems to happen more when I get on the binders to slow the car down from higher speeds (like in the expressway when there is some sort of emergency maneuver needed).
What blows my mind is that when I'm payng attention and use the brakes to stop the car, even from moderately high speeds and stopping rather quickly, they are smooth as silk most of the time.... What gives?
Old Nov 18, 2003, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

I'm going to have my dealer check into it at my next oil change... I really try to conserve on brake wear.. so they better not give me any hassle
Old Nov 18, 2003, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Bogie: i recently had the front rotors turned, could the brake guys have forgotten to put the shims back....and thats what is causing the steering wheel vibration at light/moderate brake pedal pressure?
Old Nov 18, 2003, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I have that problem too, 7k miles. I thought it was an alignment, so I got one done. That didn't fix it. Mine occurs when I slow from above 60mph, slightly or moderately. I don't track my car or been through floods. I haven't even seen the likes of ABS braking.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 10:40 PM
EvoM Guru

what you guys are feeling is called Glazing. It happens when a slight shine or too much material transfer is occuring on the rotor. The only way to get rid of it is by machining the rotor, another way is to work some good heat into the rotors like at a track (it can't be done in the street) and burn off any glazing.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by superz
what you guys are feeling is called Glazing. It happens when a slight shine or too much material transfer is occuring on the rotor. The only way to get rid of it is by machining the rotor, another way is to work some good heat into the rotors like at a track (it can't be done in the street) and burn off any glazing.
Well, it's kind of a PITA, but I don't think it's bad enough to warrant the expense of resurfacing the rotors..... Anyway, it appears to be related maybe to driving style... In this case, the glazing would return again in short order and we'd be back where we started... BTW, how difficult is it to remove the rotors? Maybe I could take them off and have them resurfaced at a parts house for less money?
Old Nov 19, 2003, 01:56 PM
EvoM Guru

easy, remove the wheel, remove the 2 bolts that hold the caliper in place (i think its 17mm or 19mm), and remove the caliper. No need to remove the pads.