Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Alpine CDA-105 installed on 2010 GSR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alpine CDA-105 installed on 2010 GSR

This past weekend I successfully installed an Alpine CDA 105 HU into my 2010 GSR that had the base 140w audio system.

Since this was my first installation of a car stereo - I didnt try for anything except to install the head unit itself.
I guess I'll try replacing the speakers and adding a new amp at some point.
But i was just happy it worked out with out any problems.
Improved sound? Yes most definitely!

Over all the install was simple.
Crutchfield provided everything I needed (Schoche dash kit; adaptor harness, and of course instructions.).

Tools I had:
phillips and flathead screwdrivers; wire cutters, wire strippers, soldering iron (with solder), shrink tubing, cable ties, elecrtical tape and a flashlight.

Wiring the provided harness with the Alpine's wiring was easy - as the colors all matched up.
I just soldered them together and protected the connections with shrink tubing.
I had a few left over wires which I latched together to keep from dangling and causing noise.

The only really hard part was finding the right position for how deep/high the Alpine would sit inside the included Schoche dash kit.
It took several tries to find the best position where there was minimal gaps and yet be able to fit the dash kit over it.
(If you plan on installing the Scoche dash kit - it really helps to get the topmost clips clicked-in first before trying to get the rest of the clips in place - at least that's what I experienced.)

The Alpine's USB connection comes via a cable from its back.
I had to make a custom hole in the included "pocket" to snake the cable through for easy access after the dash kit is installed.
(The dash kit is a double din - but they give you a pocket to fill in the hole left if you install only a single din HU like this Alpine).
The result is that I now have a pocket underneath the HU that will hold my connected Ipod when I drive.

Notes:
Always makes sure the negative terminal on the car's battery is detached from the battery before installing.

The new Scoche dash kit didn't fit entirely perfectly.
I had to pre-screw a few holes to get the screws in when I needed to actually attach them.
And when fitting the assembled dash kit to the car, it takes a bit of strength to get all the clips into place.

It really helps to have a 2nd person to hold things and to shine a flashlight for you - especially when you are putting the assembled dash kit into place.

In order to detach the hazard light button assembly from the old dash kit (so that you can transfer it to the new dash kit):
You have to first detach a white ribbon that connects the hazard lights buttons to the old dash kit.
To do this, find the tiny hub where the ribbon connects to the hazard light buttons and pull it out.
Once you do this, you can seperate the hazard light button assembly and transfer it to the new dash kit.

Antics22's thread on how to get to get a nav system into the car was very helpful for taking off the dash components.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-evo-10-a.html
Old Oct 6, 2010, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

Nice write up. I'm going to be installing a CDA 117 this weekend while replacing all speakers, adding and amp and some dynamat. Gonna try to snap some pics.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

Kunoh - What do you think about the placement of the deck in the Scosche kit? It's sunk pretty deep which makes it difficult to open the face for CD's and to remove the face entirely.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by slebo3213
Kunoh - What do you think about the placement of the deck in the Scosche kit? It's sunk pretty deep which makes it difficult to open the face for CD's and to remove the face entirely.
It IS deep for sure. The first time I got the entire thing "done" I found out that inserting a CD was a problem because of what you stated. But, after doing another adjustment (bringing the HU forward a bit and re-screwing it in), I found I could open the faceplate up enough to put in a CD without any problems. Opening the faceplate and taking it off is easy too.