Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Viper Smart Start installed!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2014, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viper Smart Start installed!

Finally installed my remote starter today After months of worrying about getting it to work

The system consists of a super low end Avital 4113 remote starter (one button remote, no alarm), Xpresskit DBALL2 interface module, and a Viper DSM250 Smart start module (start your car from smartphone and track car via GPS).

Pricing wasn't too bad - Avital 4113 ($99), DBALL2 ($99), Viper smart start ($299). Though I realized I could've gotten the smart start module for $200 on crutchfield.com.. supporting the local businesses I guess! The DBALL2 module needs to be flashed with the Mitsubishi firmware! That's one of the reasons I bought it locally so I didn't have to buy a programmer.

Installation took about 4 hours, though most of that time was spent moping around because I wasn't sure/paranoid about splicing certain wires. If I had to do it again, I'd reckon I could do it in under 2 hours though.

Install guides with wiring diagrams:
DBALL2: http://www.xpresskit.com/DocumentDow...irmwareid=5292
Avital 4113: http://www.directeddealers.com/manua...08-07print.pdf

Summary of the install:
- DBALL2 module (interfaces with your computer's CAN BUS to provide your remote starter with information about the car such as brake status, hood status, trunk release, etc). Splice into 3 wires: 2 CAN bus wires and tumbler sense wire (if you have the FAST key, splice into pin 2 of the key reminder switch -> it's labeled as Outlander only in the DBALL2 install guide). DBALL2 module connects to remote starter via a 4pin D2D (data to data) port.
-Avital remote starter.
Harness 1 (9 pin): Pin 8 to GROUND
Heavy gauge harness (6 pin): Pins 4 and 6 to big +12V connector in kick panel fuse box. Pin 1 and 3 (Ignition and acessory, respectively) to respective wires in ignition harness. Pin 2 (starter wire) to jumper bridging the two terminals of clutch pedal switch
Remote start harness (5 pin): Pin 1 (black/white wire) to GROUND
-Viper Smart Start: 3 pin ESP connector to ESP connector on Avital remote starter. Power to constant 12v and GROUND.

There's some quick auto-programming you need to do on first start up to teach the DBALL2 module the CANBUS signal and to teach the remote starter the "virtual tach" signal. Aside from that, more or less plug and play!

Data to data mode really simplifies everything. If used in wire-to-wire mode, you'd need to manually connect wires to the tach, hood switch, brake switch, etc.

I haven't gotten the Smart Start module to work yet as I forgot to have the shop activate my account (only authorized resellers can activate a smart start account). It is connected to the network just fine as shown by the status LEDs though. As such, I'm currently using the one button key fob to remote start.

The way this works (with the FAST KEY system), locking and unlocking doors with the stock alarm system works separately from the remote start system. Your doors can be locked, unlocked, opened, or closed and the car can still be remotely started. If the hood is opened, the car will not start. If you depress the brake, it will kill the remote start system.

-If you get in the car, turn the key to on, you can drive away (and press the brake) and it won't shut off the car (some people in the past have mentioned you need to turn off the car and start it again once it's been remote started).
-If you get in the car, turn the key to on, and then to off, the car will still be on. Press the brake to shut it off.
-You are free to arm/disarm the alarm while the car is remote started

All in all, very happy with this purchase. Just the idea of being able to start my car from anywhere in the world (as useless as that might be), or to track the location of the car via GPS on my phone is mind boggling. TECHNOLOGY!!!

The service plan with GPS tracking is $8.33/mo (cheaper if you sign 3 year contract). I can probably save more than $8 a month on my insurance by having GPS tracking (will have to contact them to see), making the service essentially free

If anyone needs help installing one, I'd be glad to answer any questions
Old Mar 16, 2014, 01:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi, awesome that you got it to work the way you wanted it to. I do have a few questions for you since at least your products are from the same DEI as mine and I'm trying to sort out my issues:

1. Since you got the remote start only module (I got an alarm along with the remote start), does it lock the doors when you remote start? I'm guessing not? But if it does, can you still unlock with your OEM Fast Key? I couldn't unlock w/ either Clifford 5704 remote or OEM Fast Key once I remote started. We had to do wire to wire for the locks, but then only the Clifford remote would work.

2. Why did you use the DBALL2 and not the DBALL?

3. Did you have to do anything special to be able to just get in the car after remote starting and not have the engine shut off and have to restart?

Sorry for the questions. Thanks in advance for any inputs/insight that you can provide.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
-deleted-

Last edited by TurboNubCake; Mar 16, 2014 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Deleted
Old Mar 18, 2014, 06:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pinegreen
Hi, awesome that you got it to work the way you wanted it to. I do have a few questions for you since at least your products are from the same DEI as mine and I'm trying to sort out my issues:

1. Since you got the remote start only module (I got an alarm along with the remote start), does it lock the doors when you remote start? I'm guessing not? But if it does, can you still unlock with your OEM Fast Key? I couldn't unlock w/ either Clifford 5704 remote or OEM Fast Key once I remote started. We had to do wire to wire for the locks, but then only the Clifford remote would work.

2. Why did you use the DBALL2 and not the DBALL?

3. Did you have to do anything special to be able to just get in the car after remote starting and not have the engine shut off and have to restart?

Sorry for the questions. Thanks in advance for any inputs/insight that you can provide.
1) The smartstart module has full control of the door locks and the trunk. The fob that came with the actual remote starter only has 1 button though. You lock your doors and arm the factory alarm as usual when you leave your car. After remote starting, I can still unlock the doors with the factory remote or by pressing the button on the door handle. What bypass module did you use?

2) DBALL2 is just the updated version of the DBALL

3) Nope. The only thing I have to do after getting in the car is turn the key to ON. I've actually tried driving away a few times (by accident) without turning the key to ON and don't realize it until I try to turn the wheel (steering is locked) and hitting the brake (causing the engine to shut off). If I turn the key to ON, I can drive away normally without having to turn off and on the engine
Old Mar 18, 2014, 08:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by r34p3rex

3) Nope. The only thing I have to do after getting in the car is turn the key to ON. I've actually tried driving away a few times (by accident) without turning the key to ON and don't realize it until I try to turn the wheel (steering is locked) and hitting the brake (causing the engine to shut off). If I turn the key to ON, I can drive away normally without having to turn off and on the engine
That's exactly the way my Viper works too.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Raw Evo
That's exactly the way my Viper works too.
Do you have the FastKey also? Are you using the Fastkey to unlock/lock/arm/disarm your alarm? or is it all being done through the Viper remote? Thanks.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Do you have the FastKey also? Are you using the Fastkey to unlock/lock/arm/disarm your alarm? or is it all being done through the Viper remote? Thanks.
Yup, I have Fastkey. Although I don't use it and haven't in a long time.

I'm pretty sure if I used the Fastkey entry the alarm would go off, although I don't think it's setup correctly as I've seen other threads where people are using Fastkey just as normal.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 09:59 PM

1) The smartstart module has full control of the door locks and the trunk. The fob that came with the actual remote starter only has 1 button though. You lock your doors and arm the factory alarm as usual when you leave your car. After remote starting, I can still unlock the doors with the factory remote or by pressing the button on the door handle. What bypass module did you use?
Bypass module? Sorry, stupid question, but isn't that what the DBALL is? Bypass what? My understanding (probably a bad one) was that the alarm uses the DBALL to integrate into the stock system to use the FastKey. What would the bypass do? Also, what's an example of a bypass module?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

Bypass module? Sorry, stupid question, but isn't that what the DBALL is? Bypass what? My understanding (probably a bad one) was that the alarm uses the DBALL to integrate into the stock system to use the FastKey. What would the bypass do? Also, what's an example of a bypass module?
Yea that's what I meant. Interface module, whatver you want to call it haha
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:04 AM

Yea that's what I meant. Interface module, whatver you want to call it haha
Cool. Thanks. I was hoping you meant something else so at least that would be a possible solution to the issues that I'm having. Lol.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

ive got this installed as well, love it, no FAST key, but my stock remote does unlock/lock, and arm disarm too, so no need to carry any other remotes around.