Notices

Help needed installing a clutch bypass for a manual transmission remote starter

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2008, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help needed installing a clutch bypass for a manual transmission remote starter

Hi everyone, i'm installing an alarm/remote starter on my '06 ralliart with a manual transmission, i've installed the alarm part, but having trouble with the clutch bypass for the remote starter, i've tried connecting a relay, pin 85 to ground, pin 86 to starter wire, pin 30 to clutch side A, and pin 87 to clutch side B, but still can't get it going. I was wondering if anyone can help me out, any help would be deeply appreciated.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 07:19 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
You just need the car to be able to start without the clutch pressed in? Just unplug the sensor down behind the clutch pedal.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:14 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
search compustar install in this site and I believe we discussed about when I installed mine.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 11:55 PM

thnx otter and svlbro, i'm gonna go try it out
Old Dec 8, 2008, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by otter
You just need the car to be able to start without the clutch pressed in? Just unplug the sensor down behind the clutch pedal.
DO NOT DO THIS.... This is not the proper way to do it and not recommended by any professional.

If you don't know what you're doing, do the research or go to a certified professional, don't take any easy way or shortcut and put yourself or someone else in danger because of it.

Don't take this the wrong way... I'm not trying to bash you or anyone in particular... this is just setting off red flags for me and I've seen it too many times before. I've been installing for over 10 years now and have seen my share of DIY disasters.

Each vehicle is different, on some vehicles the starter wire goes through the clutch harness itself, on some vehicles the clutch wire needs to see a ground and on others it needs to see a positive.

The best advise I can give you is to take a multimeter and measure the wires in the clutch harness and see what's going on. Are there two wires or more? Are one of the wires a ground and sending that ground through to the other wire when you press the clutch or what?

Whatever your foot is doing to the clutch you basically have to duplicate with a relay during the remote start process *only*... not *permanently*.

There should be an active output / ground when running output on your remote starter... this should be a negative output, this is what you use to trigger the relay to activate your clutch bypass.

So that when your remote start is not in use your car functions like normal, when you remote start you should have to go through a particular reservation mode sequence to set the car up for remote start and the clutch bypass relay only bypassed the clutch during that remote start process.

Hope this helps,

Nick
Old Dec 8, 2008, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by majestic*
DO NOT DO THIS.... This is not the proper way to do it and not recommended by any professional.

If you don't know what you're doing, do the research or go to a certified professional, don't take any easy way or shortcut and put yourself or someone else in danger because of it.

Don't take this the wrong way... I'm not trying to bash you or anyone in particular... this is just setting off red flags for me and I've seen it too many times before. I've been installing for over 10 years now and have seen my share of DIY disasters.

Each vehicle is different, on some vehicles the starter wire goes through the clutch harness itself, on some vehicles the clutch wire needs to see a ground and on others it needs to see a positive.

The best advise I can give you is to take a multimeter and measure the wires in the clutch harness and see what's going on. Are there two wires or more? Are one of the wires a ground and sending that ground through to the other wire when you press the clutch or what?

Whatever your foot is doing to the clutch you basically have to duplicate with a relay during the remote start process *only*... not *permanently*.

There should be an active output / ground when running output on your remote starter... this should be a negative output, this is what you use to trigger the relay to activate your clutch bypass.

So that when your remote start is not in use your car functions like normal, when you remote start you should have to go through a particular reservation mode sequence to set the car up for remote start and the clutch bypass relay only bypassed the clutch during that remote start process.

Hope this helps,

Nick
I don't see what the difference is between all that and just unplugging the switch. Either way, you have to make sure the car's in neutral when you park it, because you're not holding down the pedal when you start the car.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 07:45 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Not only that, but if you're just setting it up to bypass *only* when you're NOT in the car, how is it somehow the ZOMG WORST MISTAKE to have it bypass when there's actually someone in the driver's seat?
Old Dec 9, 2008, 01:13 PM

I am a professional installer and have been installing for 7 years. MAKE SURE YOU PUT A SPRING SAFTEY ON YOUR SHIFTER!!!! IF YOU DO THIS AND YOUR CAR IS IN GEAR THE REMOTE START WILL GROUND OUT AND NOT START. IF YOU DONT DO THIS AND REMOTE START THE VEHICLE IT WILL JUMP FORWARD AND SOMETIMES KEEP GOING BEFORE IT STALLS OUT. THIS COULD POSSIBLY INJURY/KILL SOMEONE WALKING INFRONT OF YOUR CAR. BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 9, 2008, 01:58 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gzzza8181
I am a professional installer and have been installing for 7 years. MAKE SURE YOU PUT A SPRING SAFTEY ON YOUR SHIFTER!!!! IF YOU DO THIS AND YOUR CAR IS IN GEAR THE REMOTE START WILL GROUND OUT AND NOT START. IF YOU DONT DO THIS AND REMOTE START THE VEHICLE IT WILL JUMP FORWARD AND SOMETIMES KEEP GOING BEFORE IT STALLS OUT. THIS COULD POSSIBLY INJURY/KILL SOMEONE WALKING INFRONT OF YOUR CAR. BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!
this is not a problem with the compustar because of its "reservation mode." that is why it works best for manual trannies.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:42 AM

Thumbs up I agree,

Originally Posted by gzzza8181
Can you show me with a diagram for a 2 wire and a positive off the remote.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
you realize the guy hasnt signed on for over 2 years now. not sure how good the chances are that you'll be able to get a response from him