Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

S-AWC Issue

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2013, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S-AWC Issue

So I am having an S-AWC issue, but it is not the damaged pump that is referenced so often on the site. It has nothing to do with my service light coming on....

So when I turn my dash to view the S-AWC view, all is fine, everything is lined up. However, once I hit about 40mph, the gauge appears out of whack. The left side moves to 1 space up, and the right side moves to 1 space down (sort of looks like a teeter totter, tilted down to the right. In other words, it is not centered, and appears as though the drive is slipping. There is no wheel shake, wobble, or any abnormal feel. The car is smooth as can be up to top speed. Any ideas on what can cause this??

This has been going on for a few months (no problems, no worry). However, this past Sunday, the car which parks next to me hit my baby. While backing into their spot, they came in a little hot, and put their 2000 Montero bumper right into my rear door. Estimate is $1,900. No damage to the wheel, but they did scrape the rear quarter and the wheel well. I was hoping the AWC fix could also be worked into this!
Old May 4, 2013, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The steering-angle sensor is almost definitely the problem.
Old May 6, 2013, 08:58 AM

I am assuming that is a dealership issue to fix then? How much of a fix is this? Could the accident reasonably be "blamed" for it?
Old May 6, 2013, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

When you drive straight ahead, is the steering wheel crooked? If so, then that's definitely the problem and it could easily be related to being hit. In theory, there's nothing the dealer needs to do. When the car is realigned, the problem will be solved.

On the other hand, if your steering wheel is dead straight when driving straight ahead, then my theory is wrong is, to coin a phrase, dead wrong.
Old May 6, 2013, 01:49 PM

Yes, the steering wheel is straight ahead as usual.
Old May 6, 2013, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Not good. That suggests that the steering-angle sensor is faulty. There really isn't any other (simple) explanation for the AYC to engage when traveling straight ahead. Sounds like a trip to the dealer or some other expert on Evo Xs.
Old May 7, 2013, 02:11 PM

It seems to just be the sensor then, there is nothing wrong with the handling at all. Again, it only does this when I get above 40 mph. Also, when I hit a good bump at over 40, the center bars give me a bar or 2 up and the same amount down. Is this normal?

Onto my original question, does anyone think this would be accepted as a repair from being backed into? I am going to mention it to the shop and have them take a look.
Old May 20, 2013, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Nicker31
It seems to just be the sensor then, there is nothing wrong with the handling at all. Again, it only does this when I get above 40 mph. Also, when I hit a good bump at over 40, the center bars give me a bar or 2 up and the same amount down. Is this normal?

Onto my original question, does anyone think this would be accepted as a repair from being backed into? I am going to mention it to the shop and have them take a look.
Seems reasonable. If the damage is close to the area where you were struck you can probably get it lumped in, depending on your claims inspector. Be nice to him/her