Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Final edition 7k miles diffrential rub/grind noise

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2016, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Final edition 7k miles diffrential rub/grind noise

Hi all, pretty stump on this one, looked high and low and couldn't find a simliar issue.
The noise came on suddenly two weeks ago. It was right after a car war. When I was approaching to a stop light, when the car got below 10 mph, it started hearing a rubbing noise from the rear. The noise only occurs at lows speeds and will go away once driving above 10mph. In addition, after cursing at higher speeds on the freeway, the issue will disappear all together for awhile until i drive on the local for a period of time. This makes it troublesome to replicate the issue at mechanics since the issue cannot be reproduce right away. However, after letting the car sit for awhile and start back up, the noise will come back, again only at low speeds not exceeding 10mph.

The car is a 2015 Evo FE, bought back in Late March, currently with 7600 miles. Some other things to note:

1. Issue occurs whether or not breaks are applied
2. Issue occurs whether or not car is in gear, but appears to be more apparent when in gear
3. Mechanic was able to replicate the noise when the car is on a lift and spinning the rear wheels slowly. However, noise seem to go away when upwards pressure is applied to the rear differential, thus showing issue occur when speed is low and rear not under load perhaps?
4. Drive train fluid flushed at 1000 miles and changed. When the shop discovered the issue yesterday, they did a new flush, fluid was clean, no shavings.
5. Mechanic noted that the my wheels feels more stiff when turning when compared to other Evos.
6. The above work was done by a local shop that worked on evos and performed all my parts install
7. Car is currently sitting at mitsubishi waiting for a rep to take a look, but due to tune/gauges/catless, no optimistic on warranty claim.
8. Everything else with the car is fine, shifts fine, drives fine, accelerates fine. Only when we get to speeds below 10mph does the noise occurs. Everything else is just fine with the car.

Anyone know what it is but looking at a rear diff rebuild at this point.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to dig up an old thread but this worries me.
You wrote, "It was right after a car war. " Did you mean to write 'car wash'?
Most of the car wash facilities in this area have high pressure nozzles, if you pointed the spray nozzle under the car it's possible to push water and dirt past the seals and into the diff.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave W.
Sorry to dig up an old thread but this worries me.
You wrote, "It was right after a car war. " Did you mean to write 'car wash'?
Most of the car wash facilities in this area have high pressure nozzles, if you pointed the spray nozzle under the car it's possible to push water and dirt past the seals and into the diff.
I don't think there is too much to worry here unless your differential is leaking oil and water is able to get in from where the leak is. Per Jack's Transmission, the guys that found the rust, the rusted bearings was located in an area that is completely sealed. The bearing receives oil from a reservoir sitting in your truck (if you go into your truck, there is a cover on the right side - remove that cover to see the fluid source).