Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Questionable Dealer Reflash!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2009, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questionable Dealer Reflash!

I just got a dealer to reflash my X GSR earlier today... the car "seems" to be accelerating smoother to higher RPMs (5k) and feels a bit different in a good way. After 30 mins of driving on the freeway, I got home and opened the hood. Saw a new Mitsubishi dealer service sticker, displaying the ECU update and TSB # which is 09-13-001.

I thought the latest reflash is TSB # 08-13-006REVIII? So I searched this TSB# in question and found:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...ogramming.html

I'm a little concerned since it indicates it's for the Lancer (CVT) or is it just showing page 1!? Although, I thought about it and if they flashed in an ECU that is for another car, it would make my X's engine run weird or not start at all... or maybe the tech just had a typo error on the sticker? any expert input would be highly appreciated, thanks!
Old Jun 5, 2009, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

I asked my dealer if they had any reflashes for the X and he said no. I would go back and make sure just to be safe.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I just got my GSR a couple weeks ago... and my VIN/Manufacturing date (Jan 08) falls under the list that needs the latest factory reflash. Didn't have problems with the car, but with hot weather & airconditioner running full blast, the idle seems to be a little rough... plus I heard MPG gets a bit improved with the newest reflash. So that's why I had it done today.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

I do not think the ecu nor the mut III would alow the wrong reflash. It autoscans the ecu to see if a reflash is needed and if so alow you to reflash. if already up to newest reflash it will be greyed out. they may have just written the label down wrong. also if you have the wrong vehicle selected it will give you a error.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

^ Yeah, that's what I thought too... no way the X's engine would run using a Lancer-CVT's software. Thanks for your input bro... makes me feel much better.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 02:18 AM

They did same crap to me. Wrote down that they flashed my car with a flash from an Outlander. Only thing though is they never put a sticker inside the engine compartment. I only seen the reflash number on my receipt.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by 08EVOVA
I asked my dealer if they had any reflashes for the X and he said no. I would go back and make sure just to be safe.

If you're referinf to They dont have avy at all, the they're being lazy... My guy checks every month and calls me or I call him... all it is, is a quick download dude.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OG Mogie
They did same crap to me. Wrote down that they flashed my car with a flash from an Outlander. Only thing though is they never put a sticker inside the engine compartment. I only seen the reflash number on my receipt.
So, when you asked them bout the Outlander flash on the receipt, did they say that it was just a typo?
Old Jun 6, 2009, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

I'm no technician, but I can't imagine there's any possible way that Mitsubishi's reflashing tool would allow a tech to flash an Evo with Lancer or Outlander software.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by tipoytm
So, when you asked them bout the Outlander flash on the receipt, did they say that it was just a typo?
Of course. Was typo.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 01:15 AM
Evolving Member

Just go in to gst for a flash already =)
Old Jun 8, 2009, 04:59 PM

I got mine reflashed also

I'll look under my hood to see what they wrote on mine, my idle started going up and down right after I got home from work last week so I decided to give them a call. South Coast said it was a known problem so I took it in last Saturday for a reflash, to which version I'll check and reply.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by 08EVOVA
In order to qualify for this flash, a few things need to be present:
- Hesitation above 5,000 rpms.
- Low idle that occasionally dies out.
- Random misfiring throughout the powerband.

If these things are not present, you are not qualified to get the re-flash, because that would mean you already have it.

This flash does not apply for MRs, as they already have the updated maps.

And this is for the Evo X only.

It's up to the dealership of record to do this flash for you. If you purchased the car out of state, a local dealer can do it for you, if they so choose.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by iTzBoosTn
In order to qualify for this flash, a few things need to be present:
- Hesitation above 5,000 rpms.
- Low idle that occasionally dies out.
- Random misfiring throughout the powerband.

If these things are not present, you are not qualified to get the re-flash, because that would mean you already have it.

This flash does not apply for MRs, as they already have the updated maps.

And this is for the Evo X only.

It's up to the dealership of record to do this flash for you. If you purchased the car out of state, a local dealer can do it for you, if they so choose.
This is not true. I had one of the first MR's out and I qualified for the flash. I had exactly all the stuff you listed happening to me. Got the flash and its all gone.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
confirm

you can't flash the wrong update or one from another vehicle, the MUT won't let you, it reads what ECU it's connected to and the current flash before you upload the new one.

they should have done a printout of old and new flash in addition to the hood sticker