Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Prosport Wideband - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2011, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prosport Wideband - HELP!

All,

I recently purchased a Prosport Evo Series Digital Wideband. I installed the gauges, wiring and all, according to the instructions provided with the gauge. When I power off the car and take the key out, the gauge remains lite.

Please note that the head lights are not turned on and nothing is running. I've attached a copy of the instructions to see if maybe I did something incorrect.

Name:  Wideband.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  92.4 KB

If you look at the diagram, you will see 4 wires going into the controller and labeled 'power.' Red, White, Black and Orange. I assumed that once I shut off the car, the controller is suppose to have a way to recognize the car is off and send a signal to cut off the power to the gauge. I am positive I wired it all correctly as its only 4 wires and have tripled checked it. I definitely looked to make sure I didn't switched up the red & orange together.

Now I called Prosport and the tech I spoke with gave me several different responses (please note I am not knocking on anyone or complaining - just want to know what's going on with the gauge and how to resolve it).

Response:

1. That I incorrectly wired the thing as it should shut off when the car is off. I told them I wired the gauge according to the instructions provided reading red = battery, black = ground, etc. to him. The tech agreed that is how it should be wired. I told him that it wouldn't shut off still and maybe there was something wrong with the controller (defective) or the instructions were misprinted/incorrect/outdated. He assured me that the controller is not the issue and its the wiring. I asked why it could not be the controller and he said cause he never had an issue with them before so it has to be the wiring....

So I looked over at it again and the wiring looks solid per instruction.

Called back and told them all this and he said, if its on, then it has to be connected to a 'constant' power source. I was thinking, per instruction, Red = Battery. Battery is 'constant' power source no? I thought that is where the controller comes into play to signal, hey, the car is off, turn off (I could be wrong - still a novice to this all).

2. He second response to me bringing up that the Red Wire is connected to the battery (constant power) is what is causing it to remain on. Odd that this was not mention before when I read the instructions aloud to him and informed him that this is how it was wired and all. He told me to take the Red off the battery and connect it with the white wire (ignition). Does this seem right? He said I had outdated instructions.

I mean, yes, the gauge will shut off/turn on if I connect the red with the white, but that doesn't seem like how it should be for this gauge. Also, my friend recently had his wideband installed this past weekend the same way I did and it shuts off when he powers down.

Just looking for some clarity and help. Thanks.

Cheers,

Chug
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a prosport wideband as well with no problems. Are you 100% sure that your orange and white wires are not on a constant 12v..... and did you get a good grounding location?

Those would be the two biggest things to check.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ReaperX
I have a prosport wideband as well with no problems. Are you 100% sure that your orange and white wires are not on a constant 12v..... and did you get a good grounding location?

Those would be the two biggest things to check.
Reaper. The white to the ignition and the orange to the headlights switch. The black is grounded. But am I correct to say that the Red wire does connect to the Battery and the controller should recognize that once the car is shut down, it will shut the gauge off? If you look at the instructions above, the ignition and headlights are both 12v. I've been provided a variety of paths and not sure which is the correct.

Cheers,

Chug
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

connect the red to your cigarette lighter. the controller does not recognize anything, the battery has constant voltage so offcourse your gauge is going to stay on.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by erald01
connect the red to your cigarette lighter. the controller does not recognize anything, the battery has constant voltage so offcourse your gauge is going to stay on.
I hear you, however, my friend hooked his up the same method I did (per the instructions) and it seems Reaper also installed it the same way. Both of them didn't have the issue I am having.

~Chug
Old Jun 25, 2011, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red = Constant 12v
White = ACC 12V
Orange = Switch 12v (ie headlights)

I only hooked up the red and white and it works just fine. To me.... if there is an issue with the gauge not turning off and you have it wired like in the instructions.... leads me to think there is a bad ground somewhere.