Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Installed my sub and Amp and Now it Idles bad?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2010, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed my sub and Amp and Now it Idles bad?

Hey, I have been lurking the site for a while, and I did an amp and sub install and now my idle is off. I unhooked the negative terminal and did the amp install everything looks hooked up right.

The only odd thing is that, when I first start it, it idles like a champ just like it did before, but now whenever I have been driving for a bit, it fluctuates between 200-600 whenever I put the clutch in, and has even died on me a few times.

The Car is a 2003 Lancer OZ rally 5 speed. The only mod I have is an Intake, and it has never done it before the install.

Any Ideas?
Old May 28, 2010, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

make sure your amp is grounded well. clean metal. also check battery terminals
Old May 29, 2010, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Hey, I have been dealing with the same issues, I have a Jackhammer 600w RMS amp and a 10" Alpine 500w rms 1500w max. My car has a bad idle and sometimes after disengaging the clutch to stop the car stalls. I just did a HUGE project to change the battery to a yellow top and major wiring (the big 3). Immediately after the install the car it started up great and idled perfectly. BUT After driving around town bumpin mah trunk a little bit, I pulled into walmart to grab a few things and when I tried to park it stalled in nuetral. The car idles better but I think the alternator just can't handle the extra power draw. I have noticed an increase in performance with the better ground and power wires (and the extra battery juice). But I think the alternator just sucks. When i get the cash to swap it out with a high output one I will give some more feedback. But for now the problem still remains.

Although the idle still has a few issues (more rare now). the flashing headlight problem is gone . I have a volt gauge in my car as well as near the alt to read voltage for testing, etc. With the upgrade I noticed the needle drop less when the sub hits, but It will drop after excessive amounts of power drain. Anywho, I Have been trying to figure this out for months. good luck!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 11:09 PM

you should probably look into upgrading the altenator or go with another battery in the trunk a capacitor will help fix the issue as well
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by totaldefiance04
you should probably look into upgrading the altenator or go with another battery in the trunk a capacitor will help fix the issue as well
You should probably do more research. Anyways, a capacitor won't help unless your having stall issues, where your amp is creating an electromagnetic field that hates everything in your car electrical. Hard to explain, but unless your pulling a lot of power, and have something to support that power, then a cap. won't help. I've tried. and failed epicly.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by totaldefiance04
yEA upgrade the alternator or get another battery it fixed it for me
Old Jul 27, 2010, 01:06 AM
Evolved Member

anyone know what the stock alternator output is? and who sells ho alternators for evos.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by khmerpimpin
anyone know what the stock alternator output is? and who sells ho alternators for evos.
Stock alternator output for lancers is 90 amps. I have found 140-200amp HO alternators on ebay . But who knows if they are good, i'm gonna try one of the 140amp HO alternators for a 02 OZ Rally soon.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

hey ive got an 800watt rms amp, running to my JL 10..... been there for 6 years.... interior lights kinda dim every now and then, but other than that i never have any issues.. and gain is almost all the way turned up on the amp....

Last edited by CoastieOZ; Aug 26, 2010 at 12:54 PM. Reason: accidently wrote 12 instead of 10