Notices

Community Tephra Tweaking

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Community Tephra Tweaking

Im making this thread for everyone that has questions or answers regardgind tuning your tephra rom. This is not how to install it and fix the settings to fit your turbo lancer but more of timing issue, fuel, injectors etc... If you want to learn how to download click Senates links in his signature
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

heres my 2 issues and feel free to post up your issues as well so we can try new ideas and get them fixed

1.) cold start or warmed start up afrs go staright to 17.0+ then when it warms up for a little bit it the O2 sensor kicks in and keeps it to stoich 14.7-15.2 fluctuating

2.) when I do a 3rd gear pull I get great afrs, but when Im about to race I get a good 3rd gear pull all the way to redline but when I shift into 4th to keep up the momentum I get fast Cel lights either because of real knock or fast knock. I can feel the car slow down so im assuming it real knock.

so for the second heres my idea

I think the map needs to have an arch affect from different load areas and heres my thinking, when you WOT and you shift it has to start froma different load column and build itself up again. So if you get a good third gear pull see where you start your load again and lower the timing in that column so it can build itself again. Like if you notice in the higher loads it starts off with -10 and works its way down it seems to me its starting somewhere in the map and keeps the timing to high. Like 03lance said he kept lowering his timing until he was getting no power and still had this issue.

Sorry for the long paragraph but this is my idea and I need opinions or other ideas before trying it.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 02:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as mine and your issues with the fast shift knock. I can tell you this whether its real or not the car will always lose power during this just due to the ecu is assuming it is real and taking the appropriate act (ie lower timing) to combat the knock resulting in loss of power I am going to do some good searching tomorrow on this subject to see what I can dig up.

Side note I found A cool article from awhile back regarding an experiment with spark knock. Its long lol but interesting
http://www.autospeed.com/A_110829/cms/article.html
Old Nov 10, 2010, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steven121
heres my 2 issues and feel free to post up your issues as well so we can try new ideas and get them fixed

1.) cold start or warmed start up afrs go staright to 17.0+ then when it warms up for a little bit it the O2 sensor kicks in and keeps it to stoich 14.7-15.2 fluctuating

2.) when I do a 3rd gear pull I get great afrs, but when Im about to race I get a good 3rd gear pull all the way to redline but when I shift into 4th to keep up the momentum I get fast Cel lights either because of real knock or fast knock. I can feel the car slow down so im assuming it real knock.

so for the second heres my idea

I think the map needs to have an arch affect from different load areas and heres my thinking, when you WOT and you shift it has to start froma different load column and build itself up again. So if you get a good third gear pull see where you start your load again and lower the timing in that column so it can build itself again. Like if you notice in the higher loads it starts off with -10 and works its way down it seems to me its starting somewhere in the map and keeps the timing to high. Like 03lance said he kept lowering his timing until he was getting no power and still had this issue.

Sorry for the long paragraph but this is my idea and I need opinions or other ideas before trying it.
(1) the cold start issue is the same issue as mine, i start my car it goes straight to 16.9-17.3 and stays there until i get 02 sensor feedback. Same exact problem as you so ill hope we can figure this one out.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03lances
As far as mine and your issues with the fast shift knock. I can tell you this whether its real or not the car will always lose power during this just due to the ecu is assuming it is real and taking the appropriate act (ie lower timing) to combat the knock resulting in loss of power I am going to do some good searching tomorrow on this subject to see what I can dig up.

Side note I found A cool article from awhile back regarding an experiment with spark knock. Its long lol but interesting
http://www.autospeed.com/A_110829/cms/article.html
well im going to try the arch effect today and see where it leads me, very good article though!!!

edit** I didnt do the arch effect reason why is because when I try to do it its going to pull way to much timing in most of the areas in the map.

so what I did was anything above 100 load I checked every column to make sure each degree corresponds with the one around it. I got the low timing really smoothed out, and the high timing need a few adjustments so i will see how it goes from here

Last edited by steven121; Nov 10, 2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Knock seems to be a big question with the Tephra, or any EVO Rom, on a lancer ls/oz/es. The Evo rom's ignore knock under 160 load in the range of 0-2500 rpm, and then they are less sensitive in the higher RPM range as well. I think we need a standard copy of lancer knock settings over to the Evo Roms.

The knock filter map does not match the same format , so I have yet to get a safe working evo copy. I'm frankly a little concerned about safety of using the settings stock, but I've not yet seen any issues from anyone else about engine damage in those low load, low rpm areas.

Last edited by HornstarBU; Nov 11, 2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

well I flashed it earlier and yet tried to boost because I had to go to work, but I will let yall know tonight from tweaking my map a little bit in timing and see where it takes me
Old Nov 11, 2010, 01:04 AM
Evolved Member

hey 03lance check out my timing map and tell me what you think?

pm me your email

I might have done something to make the problem not happen quite as often.

I can't really post a picture up because its to small and I dont know how to zoom in

edit nvermind lol found it

Last edited by steven121; Nov 11, 2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Does anyone have a working "IPW on Cracking" so that I don't have to either try 2-3 times to turn the car on, or push the gas a little? If not, I'll keep tweeking
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HornstarBU
Does anyone have a working "IPW on Cracking" so that I don't have to either try 2-3 times to turn the car on, or push the gas a little? If not, I'll keep tweeking
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i need this as well, seems everyone with the evo/ tephra rom has this issue no? it takes me about 3-4 seconds cranking to get it to start, its the same with or without the pedal pushed in, but on a cold start it starts up NP, so i tried to adjust the "IPW vs coolant temp" or something like that but im having no luck with it.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

? I didnt even touch anything at all and it started fine, try redownloading it, flash it, and try starting it... I have not had any problems with the tephra besides timing and knocking
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've seen issues with the warm starts as well. It seems to exist with the Tephra V7 ROM and the modified ROM for the auto cars. I've adjusted pretty much every parameter I could find with no luck. Takes about 6 seconds of constant cranking to get it running. This is not an issue on the Evo using the Tephra ROMs, so I assume there is a slight mismatch between the Lancer and Evo cranking routines at temp, or a table we don't have defined that needs to be modified.

As for the lean mix on startup, have you guys tried adjusting the low load, low RPM areas of the fuel map to add a little more fuel for startup? The car will always start in open loop, so the maps will affect the issue.

Last edited by TouringBubble; Nov 11, 2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by steven121
? I didnt even touch anything at all and it started fine, try redownloading it, flash it, and try starting it... I have not had any problems with the tephra besides timing and knocking
Same here my car starts normal without any gas like it did before everything

Got your map steven I have to do a little running around today then I will scope it out
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
I've seen issues with the warm starts as well. It seems to exist with the Tephra V7 ROM and the modified ROM for the auto cars. I've adjusted pretty much every parameter I could find with no luck. Takes about 6 seconds of constant cranking to get it running. This is not an issue on the Evo using the Tephra ROMs, so I assume there is a slight mismatch between the Lancer and Evo cranking routines at temp, or a table we don't have defined that needs to be modified.

As for the lean mix on startup, have you guys tried adjusting the low load, low RPM areas of the fuel map to add a little more fuel for startup? The car will always start in open loop, so the maps will affect the issue.

Thats a good idea, lol so basically we need to find the table somewhere in the lancer rom for the starting issue, otherwise theres nothing us auto lancers & hornstar can do?

Last edited by Mitsu.kid.02; Nov 11, 2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TouringBubble

Mine runs rich on startup, then evens out as it warms up to 14.7, then after I drive, it oscillates at 13.3 for a few seconds each time I stop....then after the 10-15 seconds if I haven't moved, it starts to try to achieve 14.7

As for cold start, the tephra rom I have has significantly different values than the Stock Evo rom I have AND the scaling being used is "approx ms" instead of "ms", and if I convert between the 2, the results are no where near the same. I'm going to put stock evo settings in, and see how that does.

Attached is the ones I have to compare.

*Edit* scratch what I said....I'ma try what 03lances has, lol, since his is working for him
Attached Thumbnails Community Tephra Tweaking-startup-ipw.png  

Last edited by HornstarBU; Nov 11, 2010 at 11:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Community Tephra Tweaking