Notices

Community Tephra Tweaking

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HornstarBU
Mine runs rich on startup, then evens out as it warms up to 14.7, then after I drive, it oscillates at 13.3 for a few seconds each time I stop....then after the 10-15 seconds if I haven't moved, it starts to try to achieve 14.7

As for cold start, the tephra rom I have has significantly different values than the Stock Evo rom I have AND the scaling being used is "approx ms" instead of "ms", and if I convert between the 2, the results are no where near the same. I'm going to put stock evo settings in, and see how that does.

Attached is the ones I have to compare.

*Edit* scratch what I said....I'ma try what 03lances has, lol, since his is working for him
So change the scaling from approx ms to "ms" and use 03 lances settings?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mitsu.kid.02
So change the scaling from approx ms to "ms" and use 03 lances settings?
I'd say, and I'm not telling you this is safe, but what I am going to do is change the scaling in my rom to match the one in 03lances rom, and then I'll paste that same stuff in. The "ms" scaling is called "TimeInjCranking" but what's weird about that, if I change the scaling on your rom.....the stuff that shows on the right side after the fact is

So....little confused. I mean, the tephra scaling is called "TimeTCOMPCrankingHack" for god's sake....I'm scared anytime I see "hack" in something or "incorrect" or any of that...
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

I'd say, and I'm not telling you this is safe, but what I am going to do is change the scaling in my rom to match the one in 03lances rom, and then I'll paste that same stuff in. The "ms" scaling is called "TimeInjCranking" but what's weird about that, if I change the scaling on your rom.....the stuff that shows on the right side after the fact is

So....little confused. I mean, the tephra scaling is called "TimeTCOMPCrankingHack" for god's sake....I'm scared anytime I see "hack" in something or "incorrect" or any of that...
i know hack is not a very nice word to use when tuning lol. Hmm.. wow those numbers are pretty big tho
Old Nov 11, 2010, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hornstar does your inj enrich show diff values than mine? Strange I dont think I have ever even looked at those tables since starting has never been an issue for me (unless it was due to my injector scalings at the time).
Old Nov 11, 2010, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

The following worked like butta when I left work today. It's 03lances startup cranking IPW or whatever(i interpolated the values that mine had and his didn't). Yeah, tephra 9653 had some weird settings and I think the auto lancer tephra had them as well...works for evos i guess, but the ones below worked first turn of the key for me.
Attached Thumbnails Community Tephra Tweaking-working-startup.png  
Old Nov 11, 2010, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Glad to hear you got it straightened out.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

The following worked like butta when I left work today. It's 03lances startup cranking IPW or whatever(i interpolated the values that mine had and his didn't). Yeah, tephra 9653 had some weird settings and I think the auto lancer tephra had them as well...works for evos i guess, but the ones below worked first turn of the key for me.

Ill have to try this as well! Im excited
Old Nov 11, 2010, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
is this supose to fix the lean mixture when warming up? usually I solve this just by stepping on the gas for a second and it goes back to stoich. But either way its not suppose to do it.

so far I have been doing hard shifts and I have not seen a CEL as of yet so i think my octane map is good, now I just need to straighten out my fuel map because when I gun it, it goes straight to 10.0 afrs and you can feel it slow down and pick up when the turbo spools
Old Nov 11, 2010, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steven121
is this supose to fix the lean mixture when warming up? usually I solve this just by stepping on the gas for a second and it goes back to stoich. But either way its not suppose to do it.

so far I have been doing hard shifts and I have not seen a CEL as of yet so i think my octane map is good, now I just need to straighten out my fuel map because when I gun it, it goes straight to 10.0 afrs and you can feel it slow down and pick up when the turbo spools
What rpms is the rich spot at? I just got done fine tuning a rich spot from 2500-3500. I too was dropping down to 10.0. I dropped my maf scaling I think a total of 6 points from 400-750hz and upped my afrs a little in my map and that brought me to about 11.3 or so. This really helped my throttle response in this rpms range on or off boost, however I am in open loop all the time too
Old Nov 12, 2010, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03lances
What rpms is the rich spot at? I just got done fine tuning a rich spot from 2500-3500. I too was dropping down to 10.0. I dropped my maf scaling I think a total of 6 points from 400-750hz and upped my afrs a little in my map and that brought me to about 11.3 or so. This really helped my throttle response in this rpms range on or off boost, however I am in open loop all the time too

How are you in open loop all the time? is it better to drive this way when tuning, or do you just prefur it?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

did these settings work to crank the car when the car was fully warm? I can turn the car on NP when its cold, its after its warm if i shut it off, i have to keep it turned over for a bit to get it to start!

Also how do the open loop tables work, "open loop 1 (load)/ open loop 2 (load) then open loop 1 (throttle)/ open loop 2 (throttle)" Is open loop table one for like city driving, then open loop 2 is for like highway driving? Or do these tables work with eachother to decide when the best time is to switch to open loop. Basically on the highway if i give it slight gas to accel, not in boost, just to accel while already at 65+ speeds, i hit open loop really early, but when city driving i can accel fine withough getting to open loop, when normally city driving open loop happens right when i start to boost so i dont wanna mess that up, it works out. But on the highway it doesnt take much at all for it to get to open loop and the fuel drops to 11-12AFR when im slightly accel, i think this is causing my high knock since its over rich and im still in vac.

Last edited by Mitsu.kid.02; Nov 12, 2010 at 05:26 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mitsu.kid.02
How are you in open loop all the time? is it better to drive this way when tuning, or do you just prefur it?
I set all my open loops loads to 10. Is it better? I guess that depends on who you ask. I say yes. Afr becomes very predictable during what would normally be the transition between closed/open loop. Plus it allows me to run around 15.2 cruising on the highway
Old Nov 12, 2010, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03lances
I set all my open loops loads to 10. Is it better? I guess that depends on who you ask. I say yes. Afr becomes very predictable during what would normally be the transition between closed/open loop. Plus it allows me to run around 15.2 cruising on the highway
Im going to try this, it will make tuning AFR more easy as well, You set all the open loops to ten? how do you tell in your logs when your in boost? I know you have the MAF from an evo, so saying anything over 100 load isnt really accurate. I just wanna make sure if i do open loop all the time, which i think has its pros like you said 15.2 on highway, i drive 60 miles a day on the highway, i would like the better gas milage, so ill try this out as well! But is there any particullar way you can tell when your in boost from your logs? can you give me an example?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

The ignition settings worked for me hot and cold. If they didn't work for you, let me know what settings you're using, and what you had before (i think I have it, but you may have changed since I last saw your rom), and if it just takes more cranking and if pushing the pedal slightly causes it to fire up. If so, you might just increase the time at that temperature in question, like say at 70 degrees it fires fine, but 120 or whatever it takes a sec....then boost it there. Log your coolant temp I think to know for sure, that's the value being referenced.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

The ignition settings worked for me hot and cold. If they didn't work for you, let me know what settings you're using, and what you had before (i think I have it, but you may have changed since I last saw your rom), and if it just takes more cranking and if pushing the pedal slightly causes it to fire up. If so, you might just increase the time at that temperature in question, like say at 70 degrees it fires fine, but 120 or whatever it takes a sec....then boost it there. Log your coolant temp I think to know for sure, that's the value being referenced.
Ok, im going to give it a try in a few min and let you know if it works, im really hoping it does, 03lances settings BTW

Quick Reply: Community Tephra Tweaking