Notices

Community Tephra Tweaking

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HornstarBU
Yeah, like 03lances says....the only thing you will see is AFR's that are lower, via the wideband input if you increase MAF scaling at the airflow value that corresponds. I wish MAF scaling wasn't the only way to do this though, because it's not the proper way to get it done. I have the same MAF scaling in my evo rom now that I had in my base lancer rom... but the evo rom drops AFR's lower than 10 in the AFRMap, and it's smoother at lowering AFR's as I go into boost.

Getting to the bottom of this is more important for mitsu.kid, because something about the rom he's using retained that "issue" that is also in the base lancer rom. I'm trying to see if I can find out why, but I seriously doubt I'm the man for the job on that.
Well big thanks to you and 03lances for taking the time to help me out here, i really appreciate . Im going to do some more tuning tomorro after breakfast with the girl, so hopefully i can atleast try to fine tune the MAF scaling to keep it at 11.5 in boost all the way through. I think things are progressing tho, i have a real positive feeling about it.

03lances, i see the tables you have defined in my current ROM, are these your settings, or stock evo settings? Ill see if i can mess with them and hopefully get my car to start more easy in the warm temps. Also if its having trouble in the warm temps starting, do i increese the "MS" values, or lower them? Im assuming you lower them, less fuel and more air= easyer starting? Or is it the otherway around? Also i like running open loop all the time, i can easily tell in the logs when i start to boost the timing drops pretty quick, easy way to tell!

Hornstar, so when you flashed the evo rom to your lancer, you kept the stock MAF scaling and the WB02 read 11ish in boost all the time? Yeah, somethings deff wrong with the ROM im using then somewhere, I have lowered the fuel map values significantly as well and still it wont seem to add the fuel as boost increeses, the IDC and IPW all increese as the RPM's go higher, but for some reason the fuel just isnt there. I fixed the leak on the D/P so that shouldnt be a factor anymore. Im pretty determined to figure this stuff out, and get a real good tune for 5 PSI, once i do im going to get some head studs/bolts and install the 370cc RC injectors and increese the boost to maybe 7 or so and re-tune. But i deff need to be knock free and have the fuel there when i need it first. So tomorrow, im going to re-scale MAF and get it so the fuel is there in boost all the time. Im going to have to pull some more timing in the lower RPM's because when i floor it i get some decent knock at the low RPM's. but then once im in boost the knock goes away and occasionally ill get 1-2 knocks, its deff improving since before i got extremly high counts all the time.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know just a thought. Even though you are using stock injectors you could go into your injector scaling and lower that number to maybe like 210 or 220 and see if and how much that richens up your afrs.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03lances
You know just a thought. Even though you are using stock injectors you could go into your injector scaling and lower that number to maybe like 210 or 220 and see if and how much that richens up your afrs.
Thats true! Good input!, But wont it throw off my trims and set a DTC? Idc if it does but J/W because i know anything over 12.5 mid or low sets a DTC i belive
*Also, when i set the scaling more richer, should i keep the MAF scaling stock when doing this, or should i do a combo of both lower scaling and MAF scaling as well?
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Well if your still running forced open loop then guesd what? You no longer have fuel trims. They only work in closed loop so your good there. You will notice how far off it makes you by your wb. Also I honestly think the maf should really only be adjusted to "square up" your afrs down the rpm range so your not bouncing from 10 to 13 back to 11. And
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

So on ans so forth. I think I remember RS talking about an ipw cap in the lancer rom? Maybe even though logs show ipw continuing to raise maybe the injectors actually are not staying open longer but idk kind of a shot in the dark. I think the injector scaling would be a good test for you even if it means adjusting some other settings. I think at this point there isn't much you haven't tried lol.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

One last thing sorry for the more posts just easier this way than to edit a post when on my phone. Anyways mitsu ya I have never edited those tables in my rom so there the stock values for that ROM. I can send you out my ROM tonight too sorry about that forgot to send it with your modified xml
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

As far as the injectors, I don't know if having bigger injectors in will help...but it's worth trying right? If what 03lances is remembering about what RoadSpike said, like some sort of IPW cap, then maybe. Of course, the real solution at that point would be to remove the cap.

Anyhow, I did my most near to WOT pull yet today, with stock injectors, and I hit about 94% (130 load and 4750 rpm)....so I need to take my 440's to get cleaned and flow-tested this week if I want to keep pushing the accelerator down. At that point, my AFR by wideband was 10.8 or so, and had steadily dropped from 11.8 as I entered boost. The problem with using MAF scaling to fix stuff like not seeing that sort of AFR behavior, is that it isn't anywhere near "exact". I don't think you'll be happy with it, even if the knocks are 0. What happens, is that as you are in boost, and your AFR is ideal, if you push anymore, then the AFR's are gonna climb. If you push any less, it's gonna drop to "10 rich", and I just couldn't get around any of this, so I went to the evo rom.

Oh, and the other thing is that the AFRMAP showed 9.6 at that time as well....which for some reason your logs never show your AFRMAP going below 10, ya? That's probably the other part of the lean problem.

Last edited by HornstarBU; Nov 13, 2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

One last thing sorry for the more posts just easier this way than to edit a post when on my phone. Anyways mitsu ya I have never edited those tables in my rom so there the stock values for that ROM. I can send you out my ROM tonight too sorry about that forgot to send it with your modified xml
Thanks man, Ill give it a shot most deff, see if it will help the lean problem im seeing here. Thats good about the fuel trims, i totally forgot that in open loop you wont have trims, thats sweet, two less things i can logg now. Also when i install bigger injectors when i up the boost, i know you have to get fuel trims close to zero or within -/+5%, do i need to switch back to closed loop when scaling the injectors?

Originally Posted by HornstarBU
As far as the injectors, I don't know if having bigger injectors in will help...but it's worth trying right? If what 03lances is remembering about what RoadSpike said, like some sort of IPW cap, then maybe. Of course, the real solution at that point would be to remove the cap.

Anyhow, I did my most near to WOT pull yet today, with stock injectors, and I hit about 94% (130 load and 4750 rpm)....so I need to take my 440's to get cleaned and flow-tested this week if I want to keep pushing the accelerator down. At that point, my AFR by wideband was 10.8 or so, and had steadily dropped from 11.8 as I entered boost. The problem with using MAF scaling to fix stuff like not seeing that sort of AFR behavior, is that it isn't anywhere near "exact". I don't think you'll be happy with it, even if the knocks are 0. What happens, is that as you are in boost, and your AFR is ideal, if you push anymore, then the AFR's are gonna climb. If you push any less, it's gonna drop to "10 rich", and I just couldn't get around any of this, so I went to the evo rom.

Oh, and the other thing is that the AFRMAP showed 9.6 at that time as well....which for some reason your logs never show your AFRMAP going below 10, ya? That's probably the other part of the lean problem.
Yes, there was a cap on IPW with the base lancer rom, i cant remember the number but it was around 15.4 or so, that might be the number actually. I do see the IPW climb up to 17+ at times, so, as much as i can tell through the loggs it seems to be working correctly.

For some reason it seems the highest i have gotten with TPS% is only 60.xx I swear i sucked it up and i pushed the pedal to the floor, i felt the carpet! Hmmm, ill have to do another log today and see what thats about? Also does your TPS read 13.XX at idle?

About the MAF scaling, yeah i see what your saying about it not being the "ideal" fix, the more you press the pedal the more airflow its going to read, and the more leaner the mix. Its prob going to take a long time, but i think i can get it to be pretty percise, but maybe not lol. Ill try it a bit more today. But the question remains, If MAF scaling is not the correct way to go richer, what is?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Here is my most recent pull this morning, its looking better, im maxing my injectors out at like 87% so ill install the injectors soon, but i also hit 7 PSI spiked, the MBC spiked to 7 when i floored it but tapered down to 5-6 PSI the fuel is getting better
Attached Files
File Type: zip
pull10.zip (3.7 KB, 0 views)
Old Nov 14, 2010, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mitsu.kid.02
Thanks man, Ill give it a shot most deff, see if it will help the lean problem im seeing here. Thats good about the fuel trims, i totally forgot that in open loop you wont have trims, thats sweet, two less things i can logg now. Also when i install bigger injectors when i up the boost, i know you have to get fuel trims close to zero or within -/+5%, do i need to switch back to closed loop when scaling the injectors?

Yes, there was a cap on IPW with the base lancer rom, i cant remember the number but it was around 15.4 or so, that might be the number actually. I do see the IPW climb up to 17+ at times, so, as much as i can tell through the loggs it seems to be working correctly.

For some reason it seems the highest i have gotten with TPS% is only 60.xx I swear i sucked it up and i pushed the pedal to the floor, i felt the carpet! Hmmm, ill have to do another log today and see what thats about? Also does your TPS read 13.XX at idle?

About the MAF scaling, yeah i see what your saying about it not being the "ideal" fix, the more you press the pedal the more airflow its going to read, and the more leaner the mix. Its prob going to take a long time, but i think i can get it to be pretty percise, but maybe not lol. Ill try it a bit more today. But the question remains, If MAF scaling is not the correct way to go richer, what is?
when tuning bigger injectors, you will definetly need to be in closed loop because your trying to hit the 14.7 afr range for idle and cruise. Don't worry about the wot its going to stay at .10 on evoscan. but when you get your fuel trims dialed then go for tuning your timing and fuel map.

or if your in open loop like 03lance then your going to have to tweak your map a little bit more, I never touched the fuel map under 100 load, anything above I tweaked
Old Nov 14, 2010, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steven121
when tuning bigger injectors, you will definetly need to be in closed loop because your trying to hit the 14.7 afr range for idle and cruise. Don't worry about the wot its going to stay at .10 on evoscan. but when you get your fuel trims dialed then go for tuning your timing and fuel map.

or if your in open loop like 03lance then your going to have to tweak your map a little bit more, I never touched the fuel map under 100 load, anything above I tweaked

Ok cool, Will the injectors eventually "burn out" if i keep using them at 87% IDC in WOT boost?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Senate was using his hitting like 120% iirc before he installed bigger injectors so now I dont think you will burn them up although I think I remember reading somewhere you want to stay under 80% idc.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Senate was using his hitting like 120% iirc before he installed bigger injectors so now I dont think you will burn them up although I think I remember reading somewhere you want to stay under 80% idc.

Wow, damn haha Alright well ill prob install the bigger injectors sometime this week
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Whoa, I thought 100% duty cycle was just that, 100%, like full on spraying as much fuel as they are capable of. I guess maybe with a RR FPR or an FMU you could force more fuel through them than they should be capable of...but, I don't know how that works if it's considered "more than 100%".

Anyhow, if the IPW was capped, then bigger injectors would not be a temp fix because even if they are 1600cc, the IPW is going to be the same I think at compatible engine speeds vs load.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mitsu.kid.02
Here is my most recent pull this morning, its looking better, im maxing my injectors out at like 87% so ill install the injectors soon, but i also hit 7 PSI spiked, the MBC spiked to 7 when i floored it but tapered down to 5-6 PSI the fuel is getting better
Is lean spool on in your ROM? I can't figure why the option to disable it doesn't show up for yours, but it looks like you might have adjusted the RPM range so it doesn't enable or increase load to max for the "lean spool load threshold" if you haven't. Still, I can't tell for sure since the big little endian thing confuses me a bit, and I'm not always exactly sure which options are what.

Quick Reply: Community Tephra Tweaking