Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Oil Change Qs???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2004, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil Change Qs???

2002 OZ with 64k miles w/ synthetic oil

Everytime I change my oil it's all dark instead of being nice a gold. What can I do to get rid of the dirty oil from the engine??? Should I change it, drive for 500 miles and change it again until it's how I want it??? Or should I not even try and waste my ching $$$ ching on some power clean process in an oil change shop???
Old Dec 26, 2004, 12:31 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How often do you change the oil? If you think it's too dark when you change it, do it more often. One thing to remember, though, is that it getting dark is the reason we change oil. So expect it to be darker than when it went in, it's just a matter of how much that bothers you. Oh yeah, and with our tiny oil filters and Mitsu engines, the oil won't stay clean for long.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

3k miles all the time
Old Dec 26, 2004, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

thx for the answer, sometimes I drive around some oil change shop and it says that they offer power flush for the engine where they flush the engine (who knows with what) and then when you change your oil it stays clean. Just don't know if I should waste ching ching.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

The oil going dark should be no cause for concern. Oil has certain detergents that activate over time to keep the oil clean and maintain its viscosity, so as a result it turns dark after a while. Completely normal. If your oil is turning black, it is doing its job.

Regular oil changes dont remove all the old oil in the engine; rather the oil still in the actual engine still remains. You do get MOST of the old oil (from the pan and the sump and what have you) but you dont get all. With a flush, you get almost all of the old oil as they flush the entire system out. So if you are gonna pay, then pay for a flush. However cheap bastards like myself will tell you that DIY can save you tons of money. The "cheap" way of a flush is pretty much have a spare oil filter that is solely for this purpose. Change the old oil and attach the "extra" oil filter. Put some oil in your car ( enough to not cause internal damage, does not have to be full) and run the car for a few minutes. Then change that out and put in the replacement filter and top it off with oil. Ultimately a regular non-flushed oil change can get you by.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Wow that's what I was looking for. Oil expert :P thx