Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

The REAL difference between OZ and ES Struts?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2003, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The REAL difference between OZ and ES Struts?

I've tried to use search, but didnt come up with anything helpfull.
I'm looking into getting a Lancer fairly soon. I will be using the car for autocross as well as street driving. The first things I do to the car (probbily within the first 2 weeks) will be springs and an upgraded rear sway bar.
I know the ES doesnt have one, but that doesnt matter cause the OZ one still isnt big enough.
I'm looking more tward the ES. From what I've seen the only difference between the 2 cars is the plastic hanging off the bottom they call a bodykit, the guages, the wheels and the struts, oh and about $2000.
I can buy the guages brand new (probbily) from the dealer and have them install it when I pick up the car, if I wanted to.

Anyway what is the actuall difference between the EX and OZ struts? Larger, smaller, what?
What would it take to convert the ES to an OZ setup? Who has aftermarket struts available, and for which model?
Can you give me any help? The answer will influence my descision on weather or not to buy a .
Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2003, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

I've converted my ES suspension to OZ to do the RalliArt/Eibach set up. The difference between the two is that the OZ front springs are larger top and bottom. Conversion requires buying the top perch, a plastic bearing (why it's called a bearing is beyond me) and the top mount....all bolt on. Hope that helps....
Old Jan 16, 2003, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

theres another difference between the OZ and the ES you missed and its the bolt pattern the OZ has 114.3 x4 and the ES is 100 x4. By The Way Where in CT you live? Im in West Hartford~
Old Jan 16, 2003, 09:03 AM

Urannium9V, I think that's exactally what I was looking for. I saw the Rallyart struts too. So as far as you know, the struts themselves are the same. They just use different springs and strut bearings. Strange.
If that's all it takes, I'm figuring I'll save the money and get the lighter ES.
DaTenshi, I'm from Bristol. I run the autocrosses with the Connecticut Autocross and Rally Team. I am currently on the board of directors.
The bolt pattern doesnt really matter. The brakes are the same size. 4x100 is plenty strong enough. VW, Honda, BMW (did), and others use them for racing purposes.
There is also a much bigger choice of wheels in 4x100. I'd probbily get Kosei Racing wheels with Yoko AVS100's for street/autocross. Leave the stock 14's for winter.

The Focus is touch for wheels, 4x108! Eek. Same as Pug's and Citroen.
Old Jan 16, 2003, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

The strut perch (bottom one on the strut) is actually larger on the ralliart struts and OZ than it is on an ES. So you can't do the conversion without OZ springs and the top 3 pieces....good luck and post some pics!!
Old Jan 16, 2003, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

I was planning Autocrossing this spring ^ ^ i wanted to do it in the fall lbut i didnt have enuf money for a helmet T_T but ill be there at lime rock this spring