Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Caliper bracket torque

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2015, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caliper bracket torque

2003 Lancer Disk on front drum on rear
I need the torque for the two bolts that how the Caliper bracket to the steering knuckle. Also for the two bolt that hold caliper to bracket
Old Feb 17, 2015, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
for the bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket, you mean the guide pins/bolts, yes?

Name:  front%20brake2_zpszqq6xdim.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  69.8 KB

Name:  front%20brake_zpsnqvshuqr.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  89.1 KB
Old Feb 17, 2015, 09:16 PM

Yes the guide pin/bolts. I have not started the brake job yet. I had to look at mine again I did not realize there where two different size bolts. 63 ft lb top bolt is that right?
Thank you
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:29 AM

After taking the brakes apart the different torques on the guide pins make sense.
Thank you for the pictures.

Thanks
Old Feb 18, 2015, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Tobra
After taking the brakes apart the different torques on the guide pins make sense.
Thank you for the pictures.

Thanks
You know you don't have to torque them at the exact torque right? No 1 torques bolts unless it's engine or transmission parts usually. You can simply use a normal +-1 foot ratchet and torque it but just make sure not to overtighten and strip the bolt. Once the bolt is hand tight it only takes +- 1/2 turn for the bolts to be tight depending on the bolt's grade and thread size.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 05:21 PM

would you happen to have the rear disc assembly page as well? I don't have a manual guide that has all this portion in it.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
marco's right, I honestly don't even torque my transmission case or mounting bolts...flywheel and clutch of course...crank pulley, cam gear etc. but for brakes, they are "good n tight".

i'll see if I can get the manual up online for ya...there are links on this forum somewhere, but I can't remember where they're at, or if they even work still...
Old Jul 24, 2015, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have snapped guide pins with a regular ratchet because I am a beast, haha..... also snapped them with a torque wrench go figure. I just can feel where they need to be now..... if I use a torque wrench, I do it twice, once at half what the spec is, then at spec
Old Jul 25, 2015, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
marco's right, I honestly don't even torque my transmission case or mounting bolts...flywheel and clutch of course...crank pulley, cam gear etc. but for brakes, they are "good n tight".

i'll see if I can get the manual up online for ya...there are links on this forum somewhere, but I can't remember where they're at, or if they even work still...
Alright, thanks. I'm sure the torque specs on the back caliper bracket are somewhat close to the fronts. I'm fairly new to the mechanic side of things when it comes to working on cars. I also tried to look around for the back side on here and a couple other different lancer/evolution sites and couldn't find it. If you can find it, that would be great, if not it's not a huge deal.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by jimbo74
I have snapped guide pins with a regular ratchet because I am a beast, haha..... also snapped them with a torque wrench go figure. I just can feel where they need to be now..... if I use a torque wrench, I do it twice, once at half what the spec is, then at spec
Hah, that would suck, I actually have heard on a couple different forums hearing people say that they just tighten down the caliper bracket bolts as hard as they can make them go. Since I'm kind of new to the whole mechanic side of things, I don't want to mess anything up. xP