Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Engine stalling while driving, restarts automatically

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2016, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine stalling while driving, restarts automatically

This started last month... I was driving on the highway and my engine cut off for less than a second and kicked back on... Fast forward several weeks later, and it started doing it more frequently. The other day while driving to work i was doing about 65mph. Engine kept cutting off and coming back on rapidly. I pulled over to the shoulder to gain my bearings, and got to work just fine. Later that day, i decided to go a store and pick some stuff up. Doing about 40 to 45. I was fine on the way there. On the way back, i made a right into my jobs driveway and the engine cut off again for a second. Made another right into the parking lot and my engine completely cut off. Steering wheel locked up, lights and radio were still on. Battery, CEL and oil light were lit up. I tried to scan for codes, but got nothing. Later that night on my way home from work... My car was fine for the most part. May have stalled out for a second on the highway. I took it to my guy, the fuel pressure is good... Fuel pump was ruled out.
A week or so ago my car threw a bank 1 too lean code... Found out that my k&n filter was off. As for how long, i don't know. I'm not sure if that is related, but my guy said that my intake looks good. Occasionally when idling, my RPMs surge up to 2k for no good reason, which points to the idle air control valve. Anyone have a similar experience? Any advice? Thanks in advance...
Old Nov 4, 2016, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
I'm assuming this is a manual transmission, but cause it sounds like when it dies, it's bump starting. The engine comes back on automatically because the car is moving enough the transmission keeps crankshaft moving, as long as the key is in the run position, ignition will resume. If it's an auto then I'm notsure sure why or how the engine is able to restart.

Sounds like a power issue...is it dying when you hit bumps or abruptly apply or let off the throttle?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
I'm assuming this is a manual transmission, but cause it sounds like when it dies, it's bump starting. The engine comes back on automatically because the car is moving enough the transmission keeps crankshaft moving, as long as the key is in the run position, ignition will resume. If it's an auto then I'm notsure sure why or how the engine is able to restart.

Sounds like a power issue...is it dying when you hit bumps or abruptly apply or let off the throttle?
it's automatic. It'll die when I'm on the highway, foot on the pedal. Making somewhat sharp turns sets it off as well. It doesn't stall out on short trips. Only when the car is warmed up. The MAF, IAC and fuel pump were ruled out... I had a tune up just last year, so i ruled out my spark plugs and coils. Timing belt kit was installed a couple months ago. Running out of ideas... My guy suggested i take it to the dealer, but idk. Camshaft sensor going bad maybe? I have no CEL to go by.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Maybe a misfire?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
Maybe a misfire?
Took it to mitsubishi today. They ran diagnostics and couldn't find anything irregular. Suggested a tune up and fuel injector cleaning. Tune up revealed that there was some corrosion somewhere near the coil... And apparently my injectors were clogged. Had a tune up done earlier this year, but i guess my guy missed the corrosion. Hasn't stalled out since.