Notices

Gear grind on startup. Should I be worried?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gear grind on startup. Should I be worried?

Hello, this is my first post but I have lurked here anonymously for a few years now. I used to own an 05 evo mr and currently own a 08 evo mr.

I have only found 1 post regarding this issue and my local dealership that I get my car serviced at said unless they get a tsb for this issue they won't do anything.

The sst transmission will sometimes grind gears like a missed shift on start up after sitting overnight. For the first year it only did it a few times, but recently it has become a lot more common, about once or twice every couple weeks. The car also will sometimes gently jerk forward when it does not make the grinding sound, but does not actually move.

I have recorded a video of my baby doing it on start up. Note it is a 10.5MB file. But if you want to experience the horror download here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?q99dn5dbdoa7q51

Now other than the start up issue, it works fine, shifts fine, etc. Every other thing the transmission has done I have found (though this forum) is normal.

I have properly broken the car in, no mods, and no abuse. I do my services at time intervals since I do not put a lot of miles on it. I just got the 15month/15k service and it only have 8.5k miles on it. If this is not normal what do I do to get my local dealership to do something? Or am I worried over nothing?
Old Oct 23, 2010, 01:13 AM

Demand the dealer investigate the problem, write public relations at mitsubishi with the issues and the lack of solutions the dealer has provided. Go to another dealer, Talking to an attorney always gets things done promptly in my book. Get it serviced many times at the dealer with no resolution may qualify you for lemon law depending on your state laws. Many attorneys for this type of law work free till the settlement then they get paid by the automaker.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 01:22 AM
Evolving Member

^^^ what he said, x10... BASS TARDS!!!
Old Oct 23, 2010, 02:22 PM

Thank you for the replies. I am going to try another dealer and see what happens.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

One time my tranny grinded its gears during startup. Kind of sounded like the flywheel grinding on the starter teeth. It happened once out of 35k miles.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 06:04 AM

that gear box gear grind that not good the computer trying to select gear while the clutch is engaged get it serviced
Old Nov 30, 2010, 09:25 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you waiting for the car to fully warm up before you take off? Or are you starting her up and taking off without a warm up? If I try to drive in sport before the car warms up it will still only shift like it was in normal, I noticed that if the car isn't warmed up.
GL to all of us SST owners.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 12:17 PM

Eeek, it should NOT be making that noise. That dealer is smoking crack.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 01:29 AM
Evolved Member

does this happen as you try to engage it from park to reverse? Like somebody else suggested above, definetly let the car idle for at least 3 or 4 minutes on a stone cold morning. The cold transmission fluid does not work well with synchros (too thick=sluggish engagement), its just like a regular manual tranmission in this matter.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Holy ****.... cold, hot, warm, whatever situation... mine has never done that and it is not normal. Back to FULL stock and bring it back in.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

that sound is definitely not normal. how many miles on your car? please keep us updated! your info is very helpful here.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 03:20 PM

I think I figured it out.

OK I think I figured it out. The car has not make the noise in quite a while and what I did is I made sure to hold the brake for a couple seconds after starting it.

It seems the tranny does what ever it does after you first start it and does not seem to dis-engage the clutch at all times. So holding the brake seems to send the signal to the computer that controls the tranny to disengage the clutch.

I think the reason I ran in to this problem is that I always warm up my car. My usual routine is to start the car then do everything else before taking off like putting on seatbelt, setting up navi, radio, bluetooth etc. When my attention is off starting the car I tend to take my foot of the brake.

Now the funny thing is, if holding the brake is so important, why does the car let you start it without holding the brake in park (it does require it for neutral), and why does not not always grind gears if you don't?

It would have been nice if the manual noted this peculiarity. But whatever, I'm just happy my car seems to be ok and I wanted to let everyone here know that it seems to just be user error. (or manual failure depending on how you look at it).
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

last but not least, are you using the OEM fluid in the trans? and did mitsu replace the filter when the last trans oil change was done? because it is known to get dirty really quick

Last edited by evo542; Dec 31, 2010 at 10:25 PM.