Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

EVO Aerodynamics Review

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 06:00 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by bee-raddd

What id really love to figure out is what size and angle etc equates to what.

Eg is there a certain angle that they should point relative to the size of your wing ect.
same here. i see people adding canards to their cars and always wonder how they know what size, where to put them, angle, spacing, etc.
i also see lots of different sizes. some even have end plates, which makes sense to me.

i honestly wouldn't even know where to put them without putting my car in a wind tunnel LOL
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
same here. i see people adding canards to their cars and always wonder how they know what size, where to put them, angle, spacing, etc.
i also see lots of different sizes. some even have end plates, which makes sense to me.

i honestly wouldn't even know where to put them without putting my car in a wind tunnel LOL

I agree with everything said above.

Am I supposed to install those APR front bumper canards towhere they look symmetrical on both sides and know that in theory that they aredirecting airflow to my GT wing?

That’s essentially what people do, but some take it a stepfurther and take aero cues from what’s proven to work (like voltex front aero).Since wind tunnels are not something that’s available to the average track guy,you end up testing these aero parts on the track to see if they shave laptimes.It may not be the most efficient way to test aerodynamics but one can decide ifit helps or not.

This is exactly what the OP of this thread did, and I’m surehe’s not the only that does it.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Well the apr canards are junk to begin with anyway so
Old Jan 29, 2015, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Has anyone used High Density Polyethylene for splitter material? I was thinking about using alumalite but this may be a cheaper item to experiment with and figure out the design I'm going with.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
^ use plywood to experiment with. some even use them to make functional splitters
Old Jan 29, 2015, 08:09 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Make your own canards just like Clive did (The Master EvO Builder)

Heres the link to his canard build page

http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...268523&page=39

IMO, one of the best EVO modification fabricators around. Build thread in my sig
Old Jan 29, 2015, 09:01 PM
kaj

i'm building a plywood splitter as soon as i find a better wing. they seem to last a season or more.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 05:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
i'm building a plywood splitter as soon as i find a better wing. they seem to last a season or more.
i bought a Special Projects front splitter for a crx and it's made from some type of high density particle board but seems very light and stiff. i'm trying to find out what the material is called so i can get some for the evo. it's about 1/2" thick.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 09:49 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by honda-guy
i bought a Special Projects front splitter for a crx and it's made from some type of high density particle board but seems very light and stiff. i'm trying to find out what the material is called so i can get some for the evo. it's about 1/2" thick.
That sounds familiar. I think I've read about something like that a while back, but I'm drawing a blank right now.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
I made my front splitter out of MDF then a layer of fibreglass to keep it weathertight. have had it on there for over 2 years now. takes a beating but is still mint.

scroll up to find my photos earlier showing mountings etc.

As for canards i have made my own. on my second set now. problem is dont have a clue how effective they really are haha. i havnt been on the track since i made my voltex lookalike ones so that will be interesting to see if i notice much difference. problem is ive also slapped a wing on it at the same time.

May have to pull the canards off and do some laps then put them on n see if theres much difference.

Have any of you played around with your rear guards etc to fit nice wide tyres under them? like more than just ur regular rolling. and anything but putting the voltex rear overfenders on. cant stand those.

My guards r rolled pretty tight and slightly pulled but ive just put new wheels and slicks on it and not sure if im going to get much rub. ive done the classic jump up and down on the back of the car test and they dont touch haha.

Old wheels were 18 x 9.5 + 15s with 245 40 r18 nt05 semi slicks. new wheels r 18 x 9.5 +12 with 240/64r18 michelin porsche cup N1 slicks.

Thinking may have to do some work to the rear guards with regards to clearance at high loads thru corners.

Id love the APR rear fenders but when i emailed APR they refused to sell me just the fenders as they fear they will be copied by the chinese which is a shame
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:46 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by bee-raddd
18 x 9.5 +12 with 240/64r18 michelin porsche cup N1 slicks.
Do they run really wide or is that a typo?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Yeah they are most certainly wiiiide. However that offset isnt helping the case...
Old Jan 30, 2015, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

I'm excited to experiment this year with designing a Splitter, however it seems to be concluded that if you build a splitter, you better add more DF to the rear of the car as well, or else you're hurting more than you're helping (I know that's not 100% true, just a 'for the most part' situation)
Old Jan 30, 2015, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

And while we're on the topic of splitters, does anyone here make multiple splitters, to test different splitter lengths? I guess you could just make a plywood one, 150mm length, and then cut it down to 120mm, do some timed laps, then cut it down to 100mm and do some timed laps and see what yielded the best results.

Then with the proper length figured out, make a new splitter out of alumilte?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Make your own canards just like Clive did (The Master EvO Builder)

Heres the link to his canard build page

http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...268523&page=39

IMO, one of the best EVO modification fabricators around. Build thread in my sig
wow. this motivates me to finish up my aero project.

Quick Reply: EVO Aerodynamics Review