Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Safety Equipment Discussion (Seats, Harnesses, HANS, Rollbars/cages) [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 01:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Oops, twas wrong. Its 3rd gen bags that do that. The seat should still have a weight sensor though (at least the passenger should) so that it knows if someone is there or not for the seat belt warning.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I can see weight sensor making sense in passenger seat. The assumption would be that there is always a driver, lol!

Buuuut, is it a weight sensor? I sure hope so granted a seat belt sensor seems to make more sense. If someone isnt wearing their seatbelt airbags are a big nono. I'd like to get to the bottom of this as I might have been driving around with no airbags the past few year. Its bad enough that my passenger side is shrapnel prone. If only I could convince the dealership to sell me the igniter so I could just do it myself ugh
Old Jan 11, 2017, 02:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The passenger seat will have a weight sensor. If there is no weight in the seat, it won't trigger the seat belt alarm/reminder when the seat belt isn't clicked in. I've had a heavy box of part in pass seat that made it go off...lol
Old Jan 11, 2017, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I never even knew the thing would beep on the passenger side. But I also make sure to say "buckle up" right before I say "watch this!"

Lol! But actually now that I think about it, you must be thinking of your truck because I have harnesses on the passenger side too so the only times someone would be sitting there and not buckled up with the factory 3pts would be with harnesses on and it doesnt beep. I only disconnected the driverside seatbelt harness clip thing.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
the passenger weight sensor was there so the air bag doesnt go off if you have a child under certain weight sit in the front.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 08:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
I have a Sparco Pro ADV seat with Halo in my car and recently saw someone on another board post that they thought it was dangerous to use a halo seat without a helmet. The halo doesn't seem that hard to me (certainly softer than the side window or door frame!), but wanted to get others' thoughts? I know the Sparco Ergo with removable halo is out there, but that's not what I have, unfortunately.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 01:33 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I have a Sparco Pro ADV seat with Halo in my car and recently saw someone on another board post that they thought it was dangerous to use a halo seat without a helmet. The halo doesn't seem that hard to me (certainly softer than the side window or door frame!), but wanted to get others' thoughts? I know the Sparco Ergo with removable halo is out there, but that's not what I have, unfortunately.
If you are using your seatbelt, then you could smack your head on it... if using a harness on the street, then your neck is at risk before hitting the halo. hm....
Old Aug 3, 2018, 01:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
If you are using your seatbelt, then you could smack your head on it... if using a harness on the street, then your neck is at risk before hitting the halo. hm....
But if the halo weren't there you'd hit your head on the door frame or window, which are much harder and less forgiving than the halo. The halo in a fiberglass seat "gives" a lot more than in something like a Kirkey full containment seat. FWIW, on the street I wear the 3-point belt together with the harness lap and sub belt, but no shoulder harnesses (and I still have the steering wheel air bag),

Old Aug 3, 2018, 03:39 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
I'm not sure how likely it would be to hit your head on the door frame (then again, I'm short). LOL. If I had a choice of door/window or halo, I'd pick halo. At least I'd be more upright and, theoretically, have less velocity built up by the time my head hit it....?
I'm with you on safety stuff: On the street I use the OEM belt. I also have the OEM steering wheel so I have the airbag to work with the three-point. I only use the harness for track days.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
i would think hitting the halo is better than hitting the door frame or b pillar. if you push on the halo, it does flex, it's also padded. i used to remove my halo on the ergo at first but then i got lazy and left it on all the time.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by honda-guy
i would think hitting the halo is better than hitting the door frame or b pillar. if you push on the halo, it does flex, it's also padded. i used to remove my halo on the ergo at first but then i got lazy and left it on all the time.
I'm too lazy to remove it as well.