Notices

2013 mitsubishi outlander sport: Humor me with value

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2013, 10:27 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 mitsubishi outlander sport: Humor me with value

http://www.aurorasentinel.com/guide/...me-with-value/

Setting out underneath a massively impressive panoramic sunroof, the Outlander Sport proved itself to be a comfortable and practical daily driver.

It seems like there should be a punch line somewhere.

As Mitsubishi’s best selling vehicle in the U.S., the Outlander Sport has the dubious honor of being a star amidst a dimming sky. It’s the smartest dodo bird, or the fleet-footed albino rhino. Perhaps it’s the dinosaur with a built-in SPF 20,000 hide? Better said: The Outlander Sport is the lone thriving element of an otherwise shrinking breed.

I want to make clear my sadness at that last point. Whether it was the rally-ready Lancer Evolution or the rugged tumbler Montero, Mitsubishi deserves a few more years stateside before its Japanese parent company pulls the plug. The company has said it has no intentions of doing so despite reported April sales of just over 4,400 cars, which isn’t a lot for a non-luxury brand. Thank goodness for deep pockets. The bright side in all of that is the Outlander Sport, whose sales jumped over 70 percent in April, year over year. That’s because the small crossover, which went on sale in 2011 here, has reason to brag right now.

Start with the just-right size of the Outlander Sport. While the Outlander regular can be fitted with a third-row seat, an option that most buyers balk at, the Sport variant is right at that cusp of compact crossover size, without being too small. In fact, five adults fit just fine in the 2013 model we were able to test for a week.

Setting out underneath a massively impressive panoramic sunroof, the Outlander Sport proved itself to be a comfortable and practical daily driver. It doesn’t require harnesses or a lead climb to scale into the front seat, and the turning radius is actually pretty good. Simply put, it’s a car that doesn’t require a lot of thought. I’ll explain.

The Outlander Sport aims to compete with uber-sellers like the Honda CR-V and Toyota Rav4 in the compact crossover segment. That’s not easy to do, considering both those cars — and many like it — are actually very good commuters, able to seamlessly disappear into daily runs between the grocery store, work and biking trips to the mountains. If you had to run out and lock the hubs in a CUV there would be a depreciable drop in sales the very next day.

Vehicles like the Outlander Sport should appear and then disappear. That’s what makes them appealing.

To that end, Mitsubishi slightly changed the formula for the smaller crossover, a year before giving the same treatment to the bigger-brother Outlander. The body changes were minor and the engine changes were non-existent, but importantly the CVT transmission — which simulates one gear to maximize fuel and power efficiency — was recalibrated to make the ride smoother, quieter and less “CVT-y,” if that’s a thing.

Among my many gripes with that transmission that appears here and almost everywhere is that it makes passing or accelerating as pleasurable as having braces. Stamp on the gas, and then there’s a loud whine, delay and more drone before the requested power kicks in. The fed takes less time to negotiate, if we’re being honest with each other.

That’s how the Outlander Sport makes its hay. The newfound transmission timing reduces that lag between demand and delivery, and to my pleasure. Although it’s still a CVT, it’s among my favorites. That still doesn’t mean much around the world, but I’m working on it.

Mated to that near-magical transmission is at 2.0-liter four, a holdover from last year’s model. That mill makes 148 horsepower and 145 lb.-ft. of torque while returning 24/29 city highway mpg, so say the EPA (24/31 in FWD).

Adding to that power is Mitsubishi’s familiar terrain select system, which now is push-button instead of knob. That button allows you to switch between Snow, Gravel or Tarmac, should you figure out what tarmac is.

Handling the Outlander Sport feels keenly like handling a Lancer Evolution, which shouldn’t be a shock, thanks to similar architecture. (Most of Mitsubishi’s cars are based on the same platform.) That’s mostly a good thing. While body roll is perceptible, it’s not annoying. And like the aforementioned drone of the CVT, it’s noticeably less than last year.

Inside, the Outlander Sport makes do with chrome accents and a leather-wrapped steering wheel. It’s on par with the changes made to the exterior — trapezoidal grille, new bends in the sheet metal and recessed fog lamps — which is to say, not much.

But starting at $23,295 for the all-wheel drive model, the biggest selling point here is price and value for money.

For that much money it’s clear why the Outlander Sport are the fingernails holding on to the edge of the cliff for Mitsubishi in the United States.

It’s no joke.

Aaron Cole is a syndicated auto columnist. He’s driven hundreds of cars, but only briefly. He knows he’s wrong, he’d just rather hear it from you. Reach him at aaron.m.cole@gmail.com or @ColeMeetsCars.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 06:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Poorly written, but thats par the course now a days when it comes to car reviews. They hire these people who know nothing about cars and make them write about them. Then we get strange analogies and phrases like "CVT-y." SMMFH

Also, I personally don't see the OS as a direct competitor to the CR-V or the Rav4. I see the Outlander as a competitor to those cars. The field in which the OS plays is very very small, its a true compact CUV and theres not a lot of those in the market anymore. I do however see it as a competitor to the Subaru Crosstrek XV, the Buick Encore, Mini Countryman non-S, and the Compass/Patriot twins. When I bought mine i did cross shop it against the Kia Soul and Scion xB as well.