Notices

starting issues

Old Jul 19, 2012, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@ least ill give it a shot the next few times it happens..

also i compared my key to my wife's...(hers has been used like 4 times since ive owned the car...if that, and mine is not rounded off much...still looks pretty good for all the use it gets...i was surprised..)
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by RacerX-Ralliart
I figured it out!!! So if you don't push the key in all the way it won't start but will still turn! So for everyone having this problem just remember to stick the key in deeper when it turns but won't crank..

The same thing is happening for me. Not sure what is going out to cause this issue, but pushing the key in works every time.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tomcoulam
The same thing is happening for me. Not sure what is going out to cause this issue, but pushing the key in works every time.
I think its the ignition cylinder that is going out.. I'm to cheap to go buy one and install it to see I'll wait til I have to start pushing the car to get it to start.. Good to hear this works for you!
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

since my last post it's only happened 1nce...pushing the key in didn't work...but then it did...

a few days ago, i got in the car, inserted key and turned...wouldnt start...tried pushing key in...nothing happened
removed key, reinserted turned key...still no start...pushed key in...worked and started up, drove off to work...hasn't happened again since(but its been increasingly rarer when it happens lately)

ill have to wait and see if it works next time when it happens...but i'm guessing it's becoming a growing issue(at least according to this thread) and thanks to RacerX-Ralliart im guessing it has sumn to do w/ the ignition cylinder too...(even tho i was doubtful in the beginning)

rt now im not willing to spend $50 for a new ignition cylinder JIC it fixes it...(just spent $326 on suspension parts...)

Last edited by nekkidlad; Jul 27, 2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

You feel a like a click when you push it in all the way.. Try putting the key in turn it to acc. Pull the key out don't take it out but just pull on it it won't come out if it's in acc. Than turn it and shouldn't start than as your turning it to start it let go as your pushing in and you will feel the click than try and start it..
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

its been a while but ive had the no start happen a few times lately...the key push in trick not working for me..at all

i try to start it a few times, nothing happens....do the key trick, nothing happens...
pump the clutch a few times(yea i know it does nothing mechanically, but maybe the clutch switch may be going..?), nothing happens...
try changing gears(ussually start in 1st since that's where i park it anyway), nothing happens...drop it to neutral, still nothing..
while in the seat jerk the car a bit back n forth(sometimes if ona hill let the car roll down a bit and dump the clutch as if to push start it)...nothing...try turning off radio a/c and headlights(since they're auto off i always just have them on), nothing..
turn everything back on, then ill turn the key again once or twice...and it starts like nothing happened...(all this ussually takes 2 or 3 mins)

sometimes it seems like the lights dim a bit like the starter is drawing power...but nothing happens..(and in case any1 doesn't know already, i'm on my 3rd starter...and have another one as "spare" im just too lazy anymore to install it)
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nekkidlad
its been a while but ive had the no start happen a few times lately...the key push in trick not working for me..at all

i try to start it a few times, nothing happens....do the key trick, nothing happens...
pump the clutch a few times(yea i know it does nothing mechanically, but maybe the clutch switch may be going..?), nothing happens...
try changing gears(ussually start in 1st since that's where i park it anyway), nothing happens...drop it to neutral, still nothing..
while in the seat jerk the car a bit back n forth(sometimes if ona hill let the car roll down a bit and dump the clutch as if to push start it)...nothing...try turning off radio a/c and headlights(since they're auto off i always just have them on), nothing..
turn everything back on, then ill turn the key again once or twice...and it starts like nothing happened...(all this ussually takes 2 or 3 mins)

sometimes it seems like the lights dim a bit like the starter is drawing power...but nothing happens..(and in case any1 doesn't know already, i'm on my 3rd starter...and have another one as "spare" im just too lazy anymore to install it)
should prolly quit wasting money on starters. im sure thats not your problem.

when you turn the key does the solenoid activate? like do you hear one click at least? or nothing at all?

i have been going through this problem as well for the past year or so. i get no clicks or anything, just fuelpump running.

i swapped in a new starter, still happens, new ignition, still happens, increased power wire size to starter, still happens, upgraded alternator wire, still happens.

BUT, when i installed the new starter, i realized that the signal wire to the starter sat loose on the terminal. didnt think much of it at the time but the other day when i had a no start, i popped the hood and used one of those extendable magnets and tapped the signal wire a few times, turned the key and vuala, started right up. today, i had a no start, nothing long enough to reach the signal wire so i grabbed a screwdriver and from underneath tapped the starter which im assuming wiggled the signal wire as well, started right up!

that would explain why i dont even hear the starter click when i have a no start. has to be the signal wire. ill get under there later today and see if i can clamp it on tighter or wedge something in there to make better contact.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05VIII
should prolly quit wasting money on starters. im sure thats not your problem.

when you turn the key does the solenoid activate? like do you hear one click at least? or nothing at all?
im not wasting $ on starters, they're warranty...im just wasting time on installing them...
everytime i pulled the starters off i bench tested it, and everytime it's dead...
the last time the solenoid actually fell off the starter...(why i have a spare...i just "rebuilt" it by reattaching it)...
im not giving it much thought lately tho, because like i said, now if i have a no start condition...it takes a minute or 2 to start...but it starts...
when i turn the key theres no clicks...most times the lights dim like the starter is trying to start and sometimes you can hear the starter kinda trying to start but not quite...the rest of the times theres nothing whatsoever that happens

i have not had the time, nor the drive to actually diagnose it, but till it actually doesnt start, i have other things to worry about rt now..
Old Aug 19, 2013, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wondering if you guys have figured out the problem to the starting issue? nim having the same trouble as well but i dnt have NO START whatsoever, lights dnt dim and there is no clicking of the starter(just the fuel pump) i usually have to let it sit for a day before it wants to start for me, and when it does start you can hear a slight hesitation in the starting (like its dying)

if you guys have figured it out please let me know
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:39 AM

okay so last night i had this kinda issue. no cranking, lights in the car work but everything goes dim when i turn my outside lights off. last night when i went to shut my car off, i took the keys out the outside lights were on, inside off. when the door opened the inside should have went on, they didnt. and my car was flikering, they barely went on. turned the outside lights off the inside went on and dash lit up. i turn the key everything dies. stop turning it goes back.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bboysyck
wondering if you guys have figured out the problem to the starting issue? nim having the same trouble as well but i dnt have NO START whatsoever, lights dnt dim and there is no clicking of the starter(just the fuel pump) i usually have to let it sit for a day before it wants to start for me, and when it does start you can hear a slight hesitation in the starting (like its dying)

if you guys have figured it out please let me know
You should check battery voltage before deaming the starter bad, slow hesitation from the starter could be caused from low voltage.. Have you tried pushing your key in further than starting it? My car has gotten worse and the push in trick rarely works but it always starts when I apply more force when turning the key so for example turn the key to start it and hold it and try to it even further mine always starts when I do this... I will try and post a video to help everybody out..

Originally Posted by JaMRxHanzoxOZ
okay so last night i had this kinda issue. no cranking, lights in the car work but everything goes dim when i turn my outside lights off. last night when i went to shut my car off, i took the keys out the outside lights were on, inside off. when the door opened the inside should have went on, they didnt. and my car was flikering, they barely went on. turned the outside lights off the inside went on and dash lit up. i turn the key everything dies. stop turning it goes back.
Is there any electrical modifications done exp : after market radio? Sub woofer? Your car is a oz rally so I don't know much about the common problems but it's not a common problem with our ralliarts
Old Aug 20, 2013, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
check/short the clutch interlock switch (can be shorted with a fuse), also check starter relay under the hood (relay box)...if the lights don't dim like its trying to do something, it's probably the switch or the relay...could also be the ignition switch, so when you turn the key try wiggling the key around while keeping it turned...
Old Jul 20, 2014, 07:03 PM

I'm having the same issue... but here is something that I found out.... It never... and I mean never... happens when I use my remote starter....
So can it help you guys diagnostic the issue? Is there something being by-pass by the remote starter that's causing this?
Old Jul 20, 2014, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
check your ignition switch
Old Jul 25, 2014, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by RacerX-Ralliart

You should check battery voltage before deaming the starter bad, slow hesitation from the starter could be caused from low voltage.. Have you tried pushing your key in further than starting it? My car has gotten worse and the push in trick rarely works but it always starts when I apply more force when turning the key so for example turn the key to start it and hold it and try to it even further mine always starts when I do this... I will try and post a video to help everybody out..

Is there any electrical modifications done exp : after market radio? Sub woofer? Your car is a oz rally so I don't know much about the common problems but it's not a common problem with our ralliarts
Yeah all of the following lmao. But it hasn't happened since. Idk. My car sucks that's what I've confirmed.