Notices
04-06 Lancer Ralliart Show & Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Opinions please...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2005, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Opinions please...

-

Here's what I thought of doing as a first mod, let me know what you guys think...

BEFORE ___________ AFTER
Attached Thumbnails Opinions please...-mesh-before.jpg   Opinions please...-mesh-after.jpg  
Old Feb 10, 2005, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like... :-D Then you could run a pipe and be sketchy like me and try to use that pipe to channel air into the engine area or near your intake.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

i like all but the foglight mesh....kinda pointless and doesnt look right. its been done, but its a nice touch. i did the uppers and l <3 them
Old Feb 10, 2005, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Cool

Originally Posted by blk-majik
i like all but the foglight mesh....kinda pointless and doesnt look right. its been done, but its a nice touch. i did the uppers and l <3 them

Since I'm looking to remove every bit of the cheap looking plastics from the front... that's why I plan on doing the fog lights too. I would create a custom frame for the fog lights themselves and mesh out the rest.

The rest of the mesh would also be framed (and soldered). Also, I'm still not sure if I should go with the powdercoat solution (expensive) or just spray paint them.

Thanks for the input man!

-
Old Feb 10, 2005, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

get the pre-anodyzed alum mesh from G3. better than powdercoating. its like $20-$40 for enough mesh to do the whole thing. it actually ioniclly modifies the metal at the molecular level to bind the dye to it =) thats what i used. the mesh is of good quality and it holds up well. might look nice /w a clearcoat tho, to make it glossy
Old Feb 10, 2005, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Smile

Originally Posted by bruce988jl
I like... :-D Then you could run a pipe and be sketchy like me and try to use that pipe to channel air into the engine area or near your intake.

I've been jugling with these ideas for months now... should I replace the stock air dam with a nicer pipe, can I use the stock pipe but try to force more air into it, how would it look... I still can't decide what to do with that and I sure don't want anything looking cheap or just plain ugly. I almost painted the air damn last summer... but decided not to 'cause I thought it would just look ridiculous.

I always take much more time than most people to decide on those things... I guess, being a bit poor, I just can't afford to mess things up.

-
Old Feb 10, 2005, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Looks good. I need to do the foglights too because I have the CAI and its right behind the light. I wish I would have thought of it when the bumper was off and the other openings were getting meshed. Looks good.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Question

Originally Posted by blk-majik
get the pre-anodyzed alum mesh from G3. better than powdercoating. its like $20-$40 for enough mesh to do the whole thing. it actually ioniclly modifies the metal at the molecular level to bind the dye to it =) thats what i used. the mesh is of good quality and it holds up well. might look nice /w a clearcoat tho, to make it glossy
Interesting... but I'm not sure the aluminum mesh can either be soldered or tack-welded. I've just begun experimenting with these processes, but I think I've once been told aluminum can't be welded... it can just be bonded.

-
Old Feb 10, 2005, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

That looks pretty good man! I say do it....do it...lol
Old Feb 10, 2005, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Daddymac
That looks pretty good man! I say do it....do it...lol

Don't tease me man, don't tease me... or else... I'll just do it!!!

Yeah, I'll probably hook up with my uncle (and his comprehensive metal shop equipment ) next week. I want to get all the frames right at first, then probably tack-weld the mesh on them... then find some nice finish to put on them.

I reckon the hardest frames to design should be the ones for the upper front openings, because of the way the stock slats are mounted. I figure maybe if I begin with a flat plate for the top part of the grill (cut to match the desired shape and drilled with the needed holes), then weld a frame under it to weld the mesh to... I might just end up with something really sturdy and that looks good too.

For the lower grills, I could use some round metal bar, shape it to match the various openings, then weld the mesh on it.

Anyway, as you can see I'm still trying to figure it all out... but once I get to do some experiments, I'm sure it'll come out okay.

-
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

i like it
Old Feb 10, 2005, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Question

-

I'm also debating whether some kind of design would look good... like the white RalliArt stripes...
Attached Thumbnails Opinions please...-mesh-ra-stripes-.jpg  
Old Feb 10, 2005, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

so how exactly does the mesh attach? ive always wondered lol
Old Feb 10, 2005, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoDreamz
so how exactly does the mesh attach? ive always wondered lol

Well, like I said, for my part I plan on creating custom frames (out of something like 1/4 in steel bar)... then tack-weld the mesh and paint or powder-coat them.

-
Old Feb 10, 2005, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

steel bar will be heavy man. try aluminum if anything. get a tig or have someone tig it for you.

btw, no stripes!

Quick Reply: Opinions please...