Notices
04-06 Lancer Ralliart Show & Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

sticky dashboard plastic

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2012, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sticky dashboard plastic

Before I bought my Ralliart, someone cleaned the dash with something that melted the surface on the crappy fake carbon fiber inserts. I had done something similar once by using ammonia on the plastic in my 73 Chevy truck, so I knew that it was permanent.

Over the next two years, the plastic absorbed more and more dirt, and seemed to get even stickier. It was really nasty. I had tried to coat it with some different vinyl preservatives, and it would only work for a few days until the stickiness returned.

I finally tried a product called Ice, marketed by Turtle Wax. This is the interior cleaner, not a car wax for the paint. It comes in a spray/pump bottle. It took off the melted layer from the surface, and although it looks different, it's a huge improvement.

I had to do a lot of rubbing with an old washcloth, but it was a lot easier and cheaper than replacing the panels. Total time was about 25 minutes, and I think it looks ok, certainly MUCH better than before (sorry no before pics). It's a grey color now, and the carbon-fiber pattern is still slightly visible. The color is ok with my silver exterior, and it's nice and shiny and smooth. Before I did this it was really disgusting to touch, and about as bad to look at.
Attached Thumbnails sticky dashboard plastic-p1100221.jpg   sticky dashboard plastic-p1100220.jpg  
Old Mar 1, 2012, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a painted black dash if you are interested. I would let it go for very cheap.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
looks nice. Im glad that solved your stickyness issue. I actually just (as in a few minutes ago) finished taking apart my trim and a few things so I can prep them to be painted this weekend. Im going with a white trim and maybe red accents. I think it will look interesting with the color scheme on the rest of my car.

Anyway as stated it looks nice. And the fact that you can still slightly see the fake carbon pattern is kinda neat... >_>
Old Mar 2, 2012, 03:06 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah mine did the same thing, I think it's more of a factory defect. And in part the hot/humid weather we have down here.

I replaced the big panel and the little one on the left with one from an Evo 9, only cost 30 bucks shipped. Checkout the Evo for sale section , they are common parts, but if your happy then that's that.