Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

Strengthening the 4G69

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2007, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strengthening the 4G69

I've been researching into what we can do to make our engine stronger internally.

I know we can get RRM's pistons for a start.

We can also get the ARP head studs.

We dont need to change our Rods as they are Forged stock.

Im sure the RRM head will help to?

But what really interests me is the headgasket. Seeing as how metal ones are made for Evo's, im suprised no-ones bothered to modify that slightly to fit the 4G69.

On the other hand, I was also thinking that maybe we could use the Evo 2.4 Stroker Kit Metal Head Gaskets, that have an 87mm bore, just like the 4G69 - the collant passages are a little smaller however, but in the right places.

Has anyone got any other ideas? I'm taking me engine apart during my AWD conversion and want to kit it out with all the strengthened internals I can.

Im thinking I want to strengthen the engine enough to safely run 15psi of boost, and it seems to me that the head gasket is the weakest link.

So, any thoughts?
Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New clutch
Old Sep 29, 2007, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ali911
New clutch

Anyway... It's weird when you, Dan, or Otter ask a question because you guys are the one's we go to!!!
Old Sep 29, 2007, 11:51 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ Lol X 200
Old Sep 30, 2007, 12:22 AM
Evolving Member

I'd personally still change the rods, when ralliart on lsd blew his engine he said the pistons cracked and the rods bent all to sh*t. Just my 0.02.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

Also the rrm head comes with a new gasket kit that I'm sure can hold up better than the stock ones
Old Sep 30, 2007, 04:51 AM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...&postcount=222

he claism to have found "NOTE: I also found a pace willing to make a custom copper or three layer Headgasket for 125.00 but I didn't considered that neccesary."

and i think i saw some1 else talkin about diff thickness metal gaskets somewhere on teh form buts its late/early havent slept all night and hoping this si actually pertinent
Old Sep 30, 2007, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

what u mentioned seems good(note not really savvy)
but from what i remember i seen a picture of a 69 vs a 63 block and the 69 has really thin walls b/w each chamber, 15psi should be fine, but i wonder what the limit would be before the internal block walls buckle?
Old Sep 30, 2007, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cow town racer
I'd personally still change the rods, when ralliart on lsd blew his engine he said the pistons cracked and the rods bent all to sh*t. Just my 0.02.
if i remember correctly, he went waaay over boost (remember the tc guy changed the wastegate lines..)
Old Sep 30, 2007, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, pistons and rods were ****ed because of major overboost, he was playing with his vacuum lines.

The head gasket I put on when I changed heads was metal, so was the one I took off mrgasket.com will make gaskets, but will likely need a template. IIRC the largest size went up to 2mm

the P&P head won't help. I believe RRM upgrade the valvetrain as well. that's what you need from the head (springs, guides, and seals. possibly valves, but you can get a good grind on them and use them even with the rest being upgraded.) head studs are a good idea too, we don't know anything about the stockers.

the bottom end is the unknown realm anything you do here is gonna be strictly for high boost. Chowetime is running at 12 psi daily, iirc, and thunder_rush has been running 10psi daily for a couple years; neither have done bottom end work yet. realistically you're the only one who should be concerned with building the bottom end diavlo turbo tech pr had some information regarding the bottom end in some old posts another user dug up recently. I copied the part about the rods into the n00b thread.

Last edited by DangerousDan; Sep 30, 2007 at 08:52 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damm TC guy lol... but yea i blew the motor because I drastcially over boosted.

Wheres the thread that turbo tech talked about the bottom end? I cant find it.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...68#post4799568
Old Sep 30, 2007, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys, good to get some ideas floating about.

I'll definitely get the pistons, and look into rods. If I can get a head gasket made that would top it off really.

I'm not exactly going to use my engine is a guinea pig for super high boost, but id feel confident of going higher with the internals upgraded.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

I also think turbo tech ran pretty much stock with just rods and pistons up to 15 psi, you will need a better clutch though as his clutch could not handle the power.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

what clutch did you end up with in your AWD setup anyway, I have not been following the thread

Quick Reply: Strengthening the 4G69