Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

Supercharged RA?

Old Feb 2, 2016, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharged RA?

Just an idea I had. I have seen a lot of posts about aftermarket turbos on the 2.4 Ralliarts. I'm curious if any has done a supercharged one (something small like a centrifugal). Is it cheaper/more cost effective then a turbo? Doing this post mostly to get an idea on opinions of price and effectiveness, may actually build my RA with a supercharger, don't know just yet.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
RIPP Mods used to have a supercharger kit. Last kid that installed one on the forums blew up and burned the car down.

That being said there are a couple of youtube videos of supercharged Ralliarts.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by slc-ralliart
RIPP Mods used to have a supercharger kit. Last kid that installed one on the forums blew up and burned the car down.

That being said there are a couple of youtube videos of supercharged Ralliarts.
That's unfortunate. Ill have to look around on youtube see what people have done. What are your personal thoughts? Cost effective? (before it possibly burning to the ground lmao)
Old Feb 2, 2016, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by UnholyMaggot
That's unfortunate. Ill have to look around on youtube see what people have done. What are your personal thoughts? Cost effective? (before it possibly burning to the ground lmao)
it's difficult to intercool, because it requires a shaft, because there's no room for the compressor on the front side of the engine where the belts are....so you have a shaft/gearbox to drive the compressor, but now the compressor sits where your upper intercooler piping would run. turbo is the way to go in my opinion...
Old Feb 2, 2016, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
I did a lot of research on this back in the day. The RIPP superchargers are getting hard to find now. But you'll have some luck if you check the eclipse forums like club34 or club4g. they still use them on the v6 models from time to time. and luckily they fit the Ralliart.

Cooling is an issue. However I have seen it done 3 ways now. 1) no cooling. it works. but its not a great idea and you'll be missing out on available power. 2) intercooler. just like with a turbo. requires some fancy pipe work to get it mounted. quick and easy way would be to use second hand evo pipes and intercooler, then modify the lower pipe so that it goes around the exhaust and connects back to the supercharger. 3) water to air intercooler. this method probably adds the most weight but it is the most factory style option, as most factory supercharged cars have water to air intercooler systems. you'll mount a radiator in the same location you would an intercooler, have a water pump pushing up to the actual cooler and then have it draining back into the radiator. This has actually recently been done on club3g if you'd like to check it out.

With the tuning options available for the RA now I would love to see someone have some awesome success with the supercharger.

EDIT:: also I seem to remember a guy in russia building a kit for a 4g69 Galant that did not use the long shaft but instead sat just over the exhaust on the belt side of the engine. I cant remember if he got it running or not though.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The guy you are referring to is Stayer. He has concluded that shipping the kits would be very very expensive. When I have the super charger on my car I hated it. There were a few reasons. The noise at first it was cool but after a while as a daily driver it will drive you mental. You will have to feed the return air back in or you are venting to the atmosphere and well its mental loud. As Crans and Bakuro mention inter-cooling is an issue, big issue. I took my car to the track on a few occasions and you get 2-3 runs in and that is it, the heat soak in incredible. Finally tuning, at the time the flash was not well developed. Fueling and timing was good but we could not get the ECU to go over 100% load and as most know that not ideal. There is not a single boosted factory car on the market that has a load cap of 100% for me that is a big issue.

Crans: I would be curious to know with your SD set up are you now past 100% load? I am not being a dick I am actually curious, I hope the load cap has been solved.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

not running speed density yet...I'm curious myself...
Old Feb 3, 2016, 01:43 PM

Sounds like this would make a great project, not something to do to my current daily and drive the **** out of it. Maybe if I keep my RA and get a new daily I'll supercharge it, or go all out and try to dual charge. Maybe get an Evo 8 or 9 and try to dual charge it. we will see in the future
Old Feb 4, 2016, 03:40 AM
Evolved Member

If I still had my RA I would be doing a 4g63T head swop, basically turn it into a stroker. It is a lot of work but can be done. its only money..LOL
Old Feb 4, 2016, 05:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by OttRalliart05
If I still had my RA I would be doing a 4g63T head swop, basically turn it into a stroker. It is a lot of work but can be done. its only money..LOL
Hey brent, your RA is still for sale.. Not to late to take on that project :P

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true
Old Feb 4, 2016, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JTCB
Hey brent, your RA is still for sale.. Not to late to take on that project :P

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true
Thats FUNNY!!! that is my old car. Text me about that.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
If I was taking on another RA project at the moment it would have to be a 4g69 with a 4g63 mivec head. The specs are way too similar to the honda k24 with k20 head swap. I have seen them push 300+ hp NA!!! Im hoping to try this with my mirage project after a season of it running on just the 4g69.

Anywho we're off topic now. LOL
Old Feb 4, 2016, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OttRalliart05
Thats FUNNY!!! that is my old car. Text me about that.

He calls it "HIS baby"...we all know that's someone else's baby, and it was adopted I wonder if he'd take $3500...lol, I want that turbo kit.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
He calls it "HIS baby"...we all know that's someone else's baby, and it was adopted I wonder if he'd take $3500...lol, I want that turbo kit.
I think your too late a couple months ago the rear end got clipped by a tow truck. He wanted 3500$ for the car with the brand new turbo. Now I guess he fixed the rear fender and bumper. I msgd him asking about the turbo kit he said hed part it for 3k still not so bad... couple good parts. Alot cheaper than RRM`s cheap *** turbo kit.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

I heard there was some "abuse" from the new owner. Funny story a buddy of mine saw the car at a local meet and the new owner would peg the rev-limiter F&F style...did not take long to damage something.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Supercharged RA?