Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

MIVEC motor swap 2.4L for the 3.8L???

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2005, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shiroboi
Props for coming up with the idea. Maybe someone will do it. I own an 06 eclipse and even though I have the 4 cylander engine, the thing is really heavy. Its even more heavy with the V6 in it. Also, at least with the old gen eclipse, there really wasn't room for a turbocharger in the V6 engine bay so it might not be a possibility. I'm thinking we'd have even less room in our cars because the lancer chassis is smaller than the Galant chassis in the Eclipse. The beauty of our cars is that is that they're much lighter than the eclipses, like 500 + pounds lighter. That gives us a huge power to weight advantage. The nice thing about adding a turbo is that it only adds a few pounds to our engine rather than hundeds of pounds for a bigger block. If you're drag racing, its a cool idea, but if you want to keep your cornering performance, Its a bad Idea as it will make your car front heavy.
yea i was thinking that there might be enough room for a engine swap in the ralliart bay but might not be enough room for a turbo w/intercooler
Old Oct 30, 2005, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

just so u all know my b/f will be undergoing this project, and also to the guy that said i shoudl just buy an evo well guess what i am hence y i was at the dealer

thanks
Old Oct 30, 2005, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i really wish you luck in that undertaking... it ill be a first no doubts to that... live by this: "originality is the base of imitation; and imitation is the highest form of flattering"
Old Oct 31, 2005, 07:29 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
who needs drop springs? V6 anyone?
Old Oct 31, 2005, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

parts most likely needed will be engine(obviously), trans, axles, engine/trans mounts, larger radiator, ecu, custom harness, stiffer front springs, custom turbo(optional)... will the fuel pump need to be upgraded? is the trans on the same side? I'm sure there is much more...
Old Oct 31, 2005, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

You will spend so much money trying to get it to fit that its not even worth it. If people cant switch an evo 4g63 into a base Lancer, then theres no way your gonna fit a new eclipse motor into an RA. (without MAJOR MAJOR modifications)
Old Nov 26, 2005, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BLKRalliArt04
You will spend so much money trying to get it to fit that its not even worth it. If people cant switch an evo 4g63 into a base Lancer, then theres no way your gonna fit a new eclipse motor into an RA. (without MAJOR MAJOR modifications)
well theres illuminati who swapped (i think it was evo 6.5) into his ES... but you have a good point anyway.

but imagine it being done, it would definitely be something interesting to see! it would definitely haul ***. maybe not the best bang for the buck but it's something that would not have been done before.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zcyph
it would definitely haul ***.
So does a Miata with a 5.0liter swap. In a straight line.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

^^
hey have you ever seen an old vw bug with a 302... THAT hauls ***
Old Nov 26, 2005, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=zcyph]well theres illuminati who swapped (i think it was evo 6.5) into his ES... but you have a good point anyway.

how the hell did he do that , did he swap every single part from the evo 6? i didnt think that was possible but then again with the know how and the right amount of money anythings possible
Old Nov 26, 2005, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zcyph
well theres illuminati who swapped (i think it was evo 6.5) into his ES... but you have a good point anyway.

but imagine it being done, it would definitely be something interesting to see! it would definitely haul ***. maybe not the best bang for the buck but it's something that would not have been done before.
I don't remember too well but I don't think illuminati ever got it to work.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

I know of a few miragers who have Evo transplants in their Mirages. Unless it is the 4th gen Mirages (93-96) using the Eclipse stuff, the Evo IV+ stuff proved a very expensive swap. TONS of problems including what to do with the extra sensors like AYC and ACD, differential problems (one guy I know had to weld up the centre diff. and they did a bad job so he was losing tons of power), axles (you have to mix and match the axles and splines) etc etc. Well worth it in the long haul for someone with disposable income but VERY expensive.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Please keep us updated about this project. If all goes well I might undergo this project as well.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

IMHO....This may be possible....but too much $$$ and too much of a PITA to even attempt. There might be room to fit a heavy v6 under the hood...but little room left for any type of FI. Unless this is purely a project car and not your daily driver....I implore you to not try this. Like PR Mivec said....we aren't talking a b16 to b18 swap here.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Lemme get this straight, you would buy a 30,000 dollar car, take the engine out, and TRY to put it in a Lancer? I HATE to sound like a pessimist, but that aint happening. Way too much work to even try to get it in there. You would have to change pretty much EVERYTHING. (notice i said "pretty much")

Quick Reply: MIVEC motor swap 2.4L for the 3.8L???