Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Transmission/ Shifter issue

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2006, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission/ Shifter issue

I have on 05 RalliArt 5 speed, when in second gear if I accelerate then decelerate whal staying in second gear the shifter moves. The shifter does not move much mabe 1/8". But does not move in other gears, anyone else have similar problem? or know what would be the cause of it. Thanks.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blkbute
I have on 05 RalliArt 5 speed, when in second gear if I accelerate then decelerate whal staying in second gear the shifter moves. The shifter does not move much mabe 1/8". But does not move in other gears, anyone else have similar problem? or know what would be the cause of it. Thanks.
Well thats the engine moving on its mounts . Thats the movement the engine dampener will remove .Read the threads here and on the general section.

Last edited by RALLIART2U; Mar 5, 2006 at 07:17 PM.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 07:28 PM

would this not happen as well in first gear if not more?
Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blkbute
would this not happen as well in first gear if not more?
It will and does happen more in first gear.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 01:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
As long as it's not popping out of gear when it moves like that, I wouldn't consider it a problem.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

it is normal, howeve i dont know if anyone here knows this but you are not supposed to drive with the stick in your hand (no pun intended). it needs to be able to vibrate and move freely, otherwise it will weat out the shifter bushings (unless you have brass bushings like i do). so DONT TOUCH THAT STICK!!! Wow i think thats the first time that i have ever told someone not to touch my stick, ill have to ask my wife.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsutech005
Wow i think thats the first time that i have ever told someone not to touch my stick, ill have to ask my wife.
WOO WOOO!
Old Mar 6, 2006, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

yep, that happens on automatic transmission cars too. and the dampner(or mounts) is not going to stop that, it is from every part of the drivetrain moving under heavy load. You can get rid of it by replacing ALL of your bushings with solid or urethane ones starting with the suspension and subframe. Believe it or not the more rubber you replace with urethane in your car the better it will handle and the stiffer the ride will get. Oh, and it is still debatable if that would remove all of the movement.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

still gonna be a bit of play otherwise you wouldnt be able to shift
Old Mar 7, 2006, 01:13 AM
Evolved Member

it is normal, howeve i dont know if anyone here knows this but you are not supposed to drive with the stick in your hand (no pun intended). it needs to be able to vibrate and move freely, otherwise it will weat out the shifter bushings (unless you have brass bushings like i do). so DONT TOUCH THAT STICK!!! Wow i think thats the first time that i have ever told someone not to touch my stick, ill have to ask my wife.

This is true. There is even a warning in your owners manual for this. But it's ok to rest it lightly on there, you just don't want to be putting a lot of weight on it. As long as you are allowing it to do its thing you can keep your hand there.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Actually it wears out the shift forks inside the trans.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
yep, that happens on automatic transmission cars too. and the dampner(or mounts) is not going to stop that, it is from every part of the drivetrain moving under heavy load. You can get rid of it by replacing ALL of your bushings with solid or urethane ones starting with the suspension and subframe. Believe it or not the more rubber you replace with urethane in your car the better it will handle and the stiffer the ride will get. Oh, and it is still debatable if that would remove all of the movement.
It probably wouldn't. Some of the movement is from the collar moving back and forth a bit on the detent.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

and is not good for syncro's
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

If you keep touching it you'll go blind, AND end up in a handbasket too. Plus I hear it causes cavities...
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not buying the cavity thing. Sounds like a tall tale if you ask me.